If you haven’t tried wheatgrass juice yet, you should know that it is one of the most beneficial juices you can consume for your overall health.
Wheatgrass juice is high in chlorophyll, vitamins, minerals, and enzymes, and it is a powerful nutritional supplement. While it is generally recommended to avoid consuming this common cereal grain grass, juicing wheatgrass is an excellent way to benefit from its high nutrient density.
It contains a high concentration of antioxidants, which are critical in the fight against disease and the prevention of cancer. While there are various methods for making wheatgrass juice at home, this blog post will show you how to make wheatgrass juice in a blender for the first time!
Wheatgrass: What Is It?
- Wheatgrass is the wheat plant’s “seed leaf.” It is from this leaf that the wheat stalk will eventually grow.
- It is occasionally referred to as “green blood” due to its high concentration (70 percent) of chlorophyll, which has the same chemical composition as hemoglobin in our blood.
- It is available as a juice concentrate or a powder concentrate, and both work well in smoothies.
- You can grow your own if you have a green thumb at home, in a window box, or a garden.
Some Useful Wheatgrass Information for Newcomers
- Many cultures have used wheatgrass, a type of grass that is used in medicinal practices.
- It is vitamin and mineral-dense, with high calcium, magnesium, potassium, iron, and zinc levels.
- You can juice it to create an energizing morning beverage following a late-night out.
- You can add it in smoothies for added nutrition.
- To add probiotics to your yogurt, sprinkle some wheatgrass powder on top.
- Although it is most commonly used as a detoxifier, it also aids in digestion and may be beneficial for anemic or diabetic.
- Cut the grass before juicing to ensure that the blades are fresh; this will help prevent the juice from tasting bitter or sour.
- Snip the blade’s top off to extract more juice from the stem; this also prevents oxidation and spoilage.
- Use a powerful blender, such as a Vitamix when juicing wheatgrass.
Wheatgrass's Health Benefits
Wheatgrass is frequently lauded for its health benefits, which include the following:
- Fights cancer: Apart from providing optimal nutrition, it has been shown to promote healthy tissue growth and red blood cell formation.
- Wound healing: Wheatgrass, which contains a high concentration of chlorophyll, can aid in wound healing on both the inside and outside. Additionally, it increases hemoglobin, which transports oxygen throughout the body.
- Stabilizes blood sugar: This is incredibly useful for people with diabetes who struggle to maintain healthy blood sugar levels.
- Slows the aging process: Wheatgrass contains enzymes that have been linked to the slowing of the aging process. Additionally, it has been asserted that it prevents gray hair. That is what we refer to as natural anti-aging.
- It has an effect to combats chronic diseases such as asthma, Parkinson’s disease, joint pain, constipation, hypertension, bronchitis, insomnia, eczema, and obesity.
- Cleanses the blood and liver: We live in a toxic environment. Wheatgrass is packed with antioxidants that aid in our fight against toxins.
- It removes toxins and restricts bacterial growth, thus preventing tooth decay.
- It is beneficial for the heart because it can help lower blood pressure and cholesterol. Heart rate is regulated, and blood vessels are dilated.
- Wheatgrass contains a concentrated dose of vitamins A, B, C, and E; magnesium, iron, calcium, zinc, and amino acids.
Which Type Of Wheatgrass Is Best For Juice Production?
Wheatgrass is a type of grass that can be juiced and added to various recipes as an ingredient. For centuries, it has been used in traditional Chinese medicine.
You can find wheatgrass at health food and grocery stores. It comes in two varieties: hardy and soft.
- Wheatgrass that is hardy is more resistant to heat, drought, and insects than wheatgrass that is soft.
- Soft wheatgrasses produce juices that are sweeter and contain less fiber.
Wheatgrass is best harvested in early spring when it has just sprouted from its seeds if you want it to be healthy and fresh.
How to make wheatgrass juice in a blender
Wheatgrass juice is at its most beneficial immediately the following blending. While it can be prepared in bulk and refrigerated or frozen, it is recommended to blend in small batches. If available, follow the manufacturer’s instructions for your blender, or perform the following
- A few spoons to stir with and to secure the jar’s side.
- Chop the grass coarsely into smaller pieces.
- Measure the grass to ensure that each serving contains 1/4 cup of grass.
- Additionally, you’ll want to have some ice cubes on hand to serve the juice cold or to incorporate them if you prefer it iced!
Use the scissors to cut wheatgrass into 1-inch pieces.
Combine the prepared wheat grass and enough water to liquefy the grass in the blender. You’ll want to blend that for approximately two minutes before turning off the blender. Begin at a slow speed and gradually increase it after about a minute. Wheatgrass and water should be blended until the wheatgrass is completely pulverized.
Pour the wheatgrass juice via a strainer into a glass or jar. If desired, repeat with more wheatgrass and water, but allow enough time between blends because wheatgrass gets hot when blended!
You can drink after you finish all of your blends!
How to Store wheatgrass juice
Here are some tips for storing wheatgrass juice:
Place wheatgrass juice in an airtight container with a tight-fitting lid and refrigerate it.
Alternatively, portions of 3-4 tbsp (approximately 60ml) can be frozen in a large ice cube tray. Defrost one in the morning or as necessary.
- Place it on the top shelf of your refrigerator to avoid direct sunlight and keep odors out.
- Avoid raw meat, eggs, and dairy products.
What To Do With Remaining Pulp
Wheatgrass pulp is highly nutrient-dense. It’s also an excellent addition to smoothies, but humans cannot digest its pulp due to its high cellulose content.
- To avoid wasting the nutrients in wheatgrass pulp, blend some fresh greens with water or coconut milk and enjoy!
- Additionally, you can dehydrate/dry this mixture for later use.
Which Blender Is Best For Wheatgrass Production?
Generally, wheatgrass juice is not made using commercial vegetable blenders. The fibrous nature of grass precludes it from being juiced conventionally with leafy greens, cucumbers, and fruits.
We prefer to blend wheatgrass in a Vitamix blender because the blades are more efficient and can reach all pulp.
- Vitamix blenders are highly efficient and powerful.
- They feature a powerful motor capable of blending dense ingredients such as wheatgrass without overheating.
- The blades are constructed of hardened stainless steel, which prevents rust and corrosion over time.
- The container for the blender is BPA-free and dishwasher safe.
A Ninja Ultima Blender is another blender that I highly recommend. It is incredibly effective. It is spacious and easy to clean. Due to the sharp blades, the food is blended quickly without overheating. The container is made of BPA-free plastic that will not leach toxins into your food in the same way that other plastics do.
Wheatgrass juice has an overpowering flavor that many find unappealing at best and utterly inedible at worst. Let’s dilute it with water, vegetable juice, or fruit juice to make it more palatable. It would be best if you consumed immediately following juicing for maximum benefit.
Wheatgrass juice can be a lot of fun to make. Consider the last time you drank water followed by a sip of lemonade. Your mouth begins to tingle with anticipation as it anticipates what is about to happen!
Similarly, when you make your wheatgrass juice at home, the same thing occurs. Wheatgrass juice is an excellent detoxifier and possesses a plethora of health benefits. You can make it at home by blending it!
Best immersion blender for smoothie and soup reviews – Don’t miss it!
An immersion blender is a little bit of a misnomer...Read More
Best blenders for fruits and vegetables review
Fruits and vegetables are a delicious and exciting way to...Read More
Why Trust Us
You will find what you are looking for at Jody's Bakery. From classic to luxury brands, you'll find both. We will help you to select appliances that fit your needs, budget and lifestyle. Whether you want to stop by to learn more — or plan to make a major purchase — we’ll treat you like family and assist you every step of the way. Shop with us today to receive friendly and experienced help along the way.