Microwave banana cake is a quick and easy dessert that can be prepared in just a few minutes using a microwave oven. This recipe is perfect for when you want a sweet treat but don’t have the time or energy to bake a traditional cake in the oven.
The cake is made with ripe bananas, flour, sugar, eggs, and other common ingredients, and can be customized with additional flavors or toppings. Microwave banana cake is a great option for a quick and easy dessert that can be enjoyed any time of the day.
Which kinds of banana cake can you be used in microwave?
Most recipes for banana cake can be adapted for cooking in the microwave. However, it’s best to choose recipes that are designed for microwave cooking or that have been tested for microwave cooking, as the cooking times and techniques can vary significantly from traditional oven baking.
Look for recipes that use ingredients that are appropriate for microwave cooking, such as self-rising flour, which can help the cake rise and cook evenly in the microwave. Additionally, recipes that use mashed bananas, rather than sliced or whole bananas, are typically easier to cook in the microwave.
Why should you banana cake?
There are several reasons why you might choose to make banana cake in the microwave:
- Convenience: Microwave banana cake is a quick and easy dessert that can be prepared in just a few minutes. This is especially helpful when you’re short on time or don’t have access to an oven.
- Energy efficiency: Cooking in the microwave can be more energy-efficient than baking in the oven, which can help you save on your energy bills.
- Portion control: Making a small batch of banana cake in the microwave can help you control portion sizes and reduce food waste.
- Customization: Making banana cake in the microwave allows you to experiment with different flavors and toppings, such as chocolate chips, nuts, or frosting.
- Reduced heat: Cooking in the microwave produces less heat than baking in the oven, which can be a benefit in hot weather or in small kitchens where heat buildup can be a problem.
Overall, making banana cake in the microwave can be a convenient and efficient way to enjoy a delicious dessert.
How to microwave banana cake
Here’s a recipe for microwave banana cake:
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- In a microwave-safe mug or small bowl, whisk together the mashed banana, flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg until well mixed, then whisk in the vanilla extract and vegetable oil.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until well combined.
- Microwave on high for 1 minute and 30 seconds to 2 minutes, or until the cake is cooked through. Check for doneness by inserting a toothpick or knife into the center of the cake. If it comes out clean, the cake is done.
- Let the cake cool for a few minutes before enjoying.
Note: Microwave cooking times may vary depending on the wattage of your microwave. Start with shorter cooking times and add additional cooking time as needed.
Optional toppings: sliced banana, chopped nuts, whipped cream, chocolate chips, or frosting.
This recipe makes one serving. If you want to make multiple servings, simply multiply the ingredients by the number of servings you want to make and divide the batter evenly among microwave-safe mugs or bowls.
How long does it take to microwave banana cake?
The cooking time for banana cake in the microwave can vary depending on the wattage of your microwave and the size of the mug or bowl you use. As a general rule of thumb, it usually takes around 1 minute and 30 seconds to 2 minutes to cook a single serving of banana cake in the microwave.
However, it’s important to keep an eye on the cake while it’s cooking to prevent it from overcooking or undercooking. To check for doneness, insert a toothpick or knife into the center of the cake. If it comes out clean, the cake is done. If it’s still wet or gooey, continue cooking in 15-second increments until it’s fully cooked. Be careful not to overcook the cake, as it can become dry and tough.
Tips for microwave banana cake
Here are some tips for making banana cake in the microwave:
- Use a ripe banana: The riper the banana, the sweeter and more flavorful your cake will be. If your banana is not quite ripe enough, you can microwave it for 15-20 seconds to help soften it and bring out its natural sweetness.
- Choose a microwave-safe mug or bowl: Make sure the container you use to cook your cake is safe to use in the microwave. A mug or small bowl works well for single servings.
- Adjust the cooking time: Cooking times can vary depending on the wattage of your microwave, so start with the shortest cooking time and add additional cooking time as needed.
- Don’t overmix the batter: Overmixing can result in a tough, rubbery cake. Mix the batter just until everything is well combined.
- Customize your cake: Feel free to experiment with different add-ins, such as chopped nuts, chocolate chips, or dried fruit. You can also top your cake with frosting, whipped cream, or caramel sauce for added flavor.
- Let the cake cool before eating: The cake will be very hot when it comes out of the microwave, so allow it to cool for a few minutes before taking a bite.
By following these tips, you can make a delicious and moist banana cake in the microwave that’s perfect for a quick and easy dessert or snack.
Why Trust Us
You will find what you are looking for at Jody's Bakery. From classic to luxury brands, you'll find both. We will help you to select appliances that fit your needs, budget and lifestyle. Whether you want to stop by to learn more — or plan to make a major purchase — we’ll treat you like family and assist you every step of the way. Shop with us today to receive friendly and experienced help along the way.