Microwave lasagna is a quick and easy way to make this classic Italian dish without the long cooking time required by traditional oven-baked lasagna. With a few simple ingredients and some basic cooking techniques, you can have a delicious and satisfying meal in minutes.
Microwave lasagna is perfect for busy weeknights or when you don’t want to heat up your kitchen with a hot oven.
Which kinds of lasagna can you be used in microwave?
You can use any type of lasagna in the microwave that you would use in a traditional oven-baked lasagna. This includes classic meat lasagna, vegetarian lasagna, spinach and cheese lasagna, and more.
The key is to make sure the lasagna is cooked through and hot all the way to the center. You may need to adjust the cooking time depending on the thickness and size of the lasagna you are using. Additionally, you can use no-boil lasagna noodles in the microwave version of the recipe to save time and reduce the amount of dishes you have to wash.
Why should you microwave lasagna?
There are several reasons why you might want to microwave lasagna instead of baking it in the oven:
- Speed: Microwaving lasagna is much faster than baking it in the oven, which can take up to an hour or more. In the microwave, you can have a hot and satisfying meal ready in just a few minutes.
- Convenience: Microwaving lasagna is very convenient, especially if you have a busy schedule or limited kitchen space. You can easily prepare a single serving of lasagna without having to heat up your entire oven.
- Energy efficiency: Microwaving lasagna is more energy-efficient than baking it in the oven. This can help you save money on your energy bills and reduce your carbon footprint.
- Reduced heat: In the summer months, baking lasagna in the oven can heat up your kitchen and make it uncomfortable to be in. Microwaving lasagna doesn’t generate as much heat, making it a better option for hot weather.
Overall, microwaving lasagna is a quick, convenient, and energy-efficient way to enjoy this classic Italian dish.
How to microwave lasagna
Here is a simple recipe for making microwave lasagna:
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- 6 lasagna noodles
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh basil for garnish (optional)
- Cook the lasagna noodles according to package instructions until they are just slightly underdone. Drain and set aside.
- In a microwave-safe baking dish, spread a thin layer of marinara sauce on the bottom of the dish.
- Place two of the cooked lasagna noodles on top of the sauce.
- Spread a layer of ricotta cheese over the noodles.
- Sprinkle some shredded mozzarella cheese and grated Parmesan cheese on top of the ricotta.
- Repeat these layers until you have used all of the ingredients, ending with a layer of sauce and a sprinkle of cheese on top.
- Cover the dish with microwave-safe plastic wrap or a lid.
- Microwave on high for 8-10 minutes, or until the lasagna is hot and bubbly and the cheese is melted.
- Let the lasagna cool for a few minutes before serving. Garnish with fresh basil if desired.
- Use a microwave-safe baking dish that is deep enough to accommodate several layers of lasagna.
- If you want to add meat to your lasagna, cook it before assembling the lasagna and add it as a layer between the noodles and the cheese.
- If your microwave doesn’t have a turntable, rotate the dish halfway through cooking to ensure even heating.
- Let the lasagna cool for a few minutes before cutting and serving to avoid burning your mouth on hot cheese and sauce.
How long does it take to microwave lasagna?
The cooking time for microwave lasagna can vary depending on the size and thickness of the lasagna, as well as the power of your microwave. As a general rule, it typically takes about 10-15 minutes to cook a single serving of lasagna in the microwave.
To microwave lasagna, start by covering the dish with microwave-safe plastic wrap or a microwave-safe lid. Then, heat the lasagna on high power for 2-3 minutes. Remove the dish from the microwave and use a knife to check the center of the lasagna to see if it is heated through. If not, continue to microwave in 1-minute increments until it is heated through.
It’s important to note that microwaving lasagna may not result in the same crispy, browned top that you would get from baking it in the oven. To achieve this, you can try placing the lasagna under the broiler for a few minutes after microwaving to crisp up the top layer.
Tips for microwave lasagna
Here are some tips for making delicious and perfectly cooked microwave lasagna:
- Use a microwave-safe dish: Make sure to use a dish that is safe for use in the microwave. Glass, ceramic, and plastic dishes labeled as “microwave-safe” are all good options.
- Cover the lasagna: Cover the lasagna with microwave-safe plastic wrap or a microwave-safe lid to prevent splatters and retain moisture.
- Add liquid: Add a few tablespoons of water or sauce to the lasagna before microwaving to prevent it from drying out.
- Cut into small pieces: Cut the lasagna into smaller pieces before microwaving to ensure that it cooks evenly and thoroughly.
- Rotate the dish: If your microwave has a turntable, rotate the dish every few minutes to ensure even cooking.
- Check for doneness: Use a knife to check the center of the lasagna to make sure it is heated through. If necessary, continue microwaving in 1-minute increments until it is fully cooked.
- Let it rest: Let the lasagna sit for a few minutes after microwaving to allow it to set and cool slightly before serving.
By following these tips, you can enjoy delicious and perfectly cooked lasagna in just a fraction of the time it would take to bake it in the oven.
Why Trust Us
You will find what you are looking for at Jody's Bakery. From classic to luxury brands, you'll find both. We will help you to select appliances that fit your needs, budget and lifestyle. Whether you want to stop by to learn more — or plan to make a major purchase — we’ll treat you like family and assist you every step of the way. Shop with us today to receive friendly and experienced help along the way.