Pressure canning rhubarb BBQ sauce is a great way to preserve the tangy, sweet flavor of rhubarb for use in a delicious homemade BBQ sauce. The pressure canning process allows the sauce to be stored for a long time without the need for refrigeration, making it a convenient and tasty addition to your pantry.
Making your own rhubarb BBQ sauce also allows you to control the ingredients and avoid any unwanted additives or preservatives. It’s a great way to enjoy the fresh taste of rhubarb all year round!
Why should you use a pressure canner for Pressure Canning Rhubarb BBQ Sauce?
Pressure canning is the recommended method for canning low-acid foods, such as rhubarb BBQ sauce, because it is the only way to achieve the high temperatures necessary to kill potentially harmful bacteria such as botulism. The acidity level of rhubarb is generally too low to safely can using a water bath canner, which is only suitable for high-acid foods such as fruits, jams, and pickles.
A pressure canner works by using steam and pressure to heat the contents of the jars to a temperature that is high enough to kill any bacteria, yeasts, or molds that may be present. This ensures that the rhubarb BBQ sauce is safe for long-term storage and consumption.
Using a pressure canner also allows you to process multiple jars at once, making it a more efficient way to preserve your rhubarb BBQ sauce. By pressure canning your sauce, you can enjoy the delicious taste of rhubarb BBQ sauce all year round without having to worry about spoilage or contamination.
How to make Pressure Canning Rhubarb BBQ Sauce in a pressure canner
Here is a recipe for making and pressure canning rhubarb BBQ sauce:
- 4 cups chopped fresh rhubarb
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- In a large saucepan, combine the chopped rhubarb, onion, ketchup, apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, honey, Worcestershire sauce, Dijon mustard, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper.
- Bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat, then reduce the heat and let it simmer for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the rhubarb is tender and the sauce has thickened.
- Once the rhubarb BBQ sauce has thickened to your liking, remove it from the heat and let it cool slightly.
- Ladle the sauce into sterilized canning jars, leaving 1/4 inch of headspace at the top of each jar.
- Use a clean, damp cloth to wipe the rims of the jars and remove any excess sauce.
- Place the lids and bands on the jars, tightening the bands just until they are snug.
- Place the jars in a pressure canner, following the manufacturer’s instructions for filling and processing.
- Process the jars at 10 pounds of pressure for 25 minutes (adjusting for altitude as needed).
- Once the processing time is complete, turn off the heat and let the canner cool down naturally.
- Once the canner has cooled down, carefully remove the jars and let them cool on a towel on your kitchen counter.
- Once the jars have cooled completely, check to make sure that the lids have sealed properly (the lids should be concave and not pop up when pressed). Any jars that have not sealed properly should be refrigerated and used within a few days.
- Label the jars with the date and contents, and store them in a cool, dry place for up to one year.
Enjoy your homemade rhubarb BBQ sauce on grilled meats, sandwiches, or as a dipping sauce.
Tips for making Pressure Canning Rhubarb BBQ Sauce in a pressure canner
Here are some tips for making pressure canned rhubarb BBQ sauce:
- Use fresh rhubarb: It is important to use fresh, firm rhubarb for this recipe to ensure the best flavor and texture. Avoid using overly ripe or soft rhubarb as it can affect the consistency of the sauce.
- Sterilize your jars and equipment: Make sure your jars, lids, and other canning equipment are properly sterilized to prevent contamination and ensure safe storage of the BBQ sauce.
- Follow the recipe: It’s important to follow the recipe carefully, measuring ingredients accurately and cooking the sauce to the proper consistency. Altering the recipe could affect the pH level of the sauce, which can impact the safety of the canning process.
- Adjust for altitude: If you live at a high altitude, you may need to adjust the processing time to ensure safe canning. Consult your pressure canner’s manual for specific instructions.
- Don’t overtighten the bands: Tighten the bands only until they are snug, as overtightening can prevent air from escaping during processing and cause the jars to break.
- Let the canner cool down naturally: It’s important to let the pressure canner cool down naturally after processing to avoid sudden temperature changes that can affect the seal on the jars.
- Store properly: Store your canned rhubarb BBQ sauce in a cool, dry place, away from direct sunlight. Check the jars periodically to ensure the seals are intact and there are no signs of spoilage.
- All Post
- Air Fryer
- Baby Food Maker
- Best Lists
- Bread Maker Machine
- Bread Slicer
- Cake pop maker
- Cooking Tips
- Deep Fryer
- Electric Mixer
- food dehydrator
- Food Processor
- Food Slicer
- Food Steamer
- Grain Mill Grinder
- ice cream maker
- Instant Pot
- Kitchen Gadget
- Meat Slicer
- Microwave Oven
- Pasta Maker
- Sandwich maker
- Slow Cooker
- Toaster Oven
- Waffle maker
Why Trust Us
You will find what you are looking for at Jody's Bakery. From classic to luxury brands, you'll find both. We will help you to select appliances that fit your needs, budget and lifestyle. Whether you want to stop by to learn more — or plan to make a major purchase — we’ll treat you like family and assist you every step of the way. Shop with us today to receive friendly and experienced help along the way.