The fast and easy way to bake frozen, homemade, take-and-bake,...Read More
An outdoor pizza oven is a specialized cooking appliance designed for making pizzas and other baked dishes outdoors. Unlike traditional indoor ovens, outdoor pizza ovens are specifically engineered to reach extremely high temperatures, often exceeding 800°F (427°C) or more. These high temperatures allow pizzas to cook quickly, typically in just a few minutes, resulting in a crispy crust and perfectly melted toppings.
Outdoor pizza ovens come in various designs and fuel options. Some are wood-fired, relying on hardwood or wood pellets to generate heat, providing a traditional, smoky flavor to the food. Others use gas as a convenient and clean fuel source, allowing precise temperature control. There are also hybrid models that can use both wood and gas, providing flexibility in cooking methods.
These ovens are popular for outdoor entertaining and cooking enthusiasts, offering the opportunity to create restaurant-quality pizzas in the comfort of one’s backyard or outdoor kitchen. In addition to pizzas, outdoor pizza ovens can be used to cook a wide range of dishes, including bread, roasted vegetables, meats, and even desserts, making them versatile and valuable additions to outdoor cooking spaces.
What is the best outdoor pizza oven?
Determining the “best” outdoor pizza oven can depend on several factors, including your specific needs, budget, available space, and personal preferences. Here are a few that were often praised:
- Ooni: Ooni pizza ovens, as previously mentioned, are popular for their portability, high heat, and versatility. They come in various models, including wood-fired and gas-powered options, catering to different user preferences.
- Roccbox: Roccbox is known for its sleek design, rapid heating capability, and ability to cook Neapolitan-style pizzas in just under 90 seconds. It offers both wood and gas fuel options and has received positive reviews for its performance.
- Ninja Pizza Oven: This is an awesome little smoker & oven. It is very easy to use and it’s versatile. It smokes with pellets and due to the design you don’t need to use a lot of pellets to smoke your food.
- VEVOR Gas Pizza Oven Outdoor: This portable pizza oven is designed with an efficient wood burner, and you can use wood pellets, wood chips, or charcoal as fuel. Choose wood for an authentic flame-cooked taste or charcoal for a lower, slower burn. With its large 480 g fuel tray, you’ll need to feed it less often.
- NutriChef Portable Outdoor pizza oven: The Outdoor Pizza Oven is designed to be portable & relatively lightweight for outdoor applications. Cooking with/ the gas pizza oven means serving up fantastic dishes in your garden, backyard, at the beach, or any outdoor space.
When considering the best outdoor pizza oven for your needs, it’s essential to think about factors such as the type of fuel you prefer, the size of the oven, its portability, and your budget. Reading recent customer reviews and expert opinions on reputable websites can also provide valuable insights into the performance and satisfaction levels of specific models. Additionally, considering the warranty, customer support, and availability of accessories or replacement parts can contribute to a positive ownership experience.
Why buy an outdoor pizza oven?
There are several compelling reasons why you might consider buying an outdoor pizza oven:
- **High Temperature Cooking: Outdoor pizza ovens can reach extremely high temperatures, often exceeding 800°F (427°C). This intense heat allows you to cook pizzas quickly, typically in just a few minutes. The high temperature is perfect for achieving crispy crusts and perfectly cooked toppings, replicating the authentic taste of Neapolitan-style pizzas.
- **Versatility: While designed for pizzas, outdoor pizza ovens are versatile and can be used to cook a wide range of dishes, including bread, roasted vegetables, meats, and desserts. The high heat imparts a unique smoky flavor to various foods, enhancing their taste and texture.
- **Outdoor Cooking Experience: Cooking in an outdoor pizza oven provides an enjoyable and interactive experience. It’s perfect for outdoor gatherings, parties, and family events, allowing people to gather around the oven, participate in the cooking process, and enjoy freshly baked dishes together.
- **Quick Cooking Time: Pizzas cooked in outdoor pizza ovens typically take only a few minutes to cook. This quick cooking time makes them ideal for convenient and delicious meals, especially when you have guests or hungry family members waiting.
- **Customization: Many outdoor pizza ovens allow you to control the temperature and experiment with different types of wood or fuel. This customization gives you the ability to create a variety of dishes with unique flavors, catering to your specific culinary preferences.
- **Enhanced Flavor: The combination of high heat and wood-fired cooking imparts a distinctive smoky flavor to the food, enhancing its taste and making it more enjoyable for your palate.
- **Outdoor Entertaining: An outdoor pizza oven becomes a focal point of your outdoor entertaining space, adding a touch of elegance and functionality to your backyard or patio. It creates a cozy atmosphere, encourages social interaction, and makes your outdoor gatherings more memorable.
- **Increase Property Value: An outdoor pizza oven can enhance the appeal and value of your property. Outdoor kitchens and cooking areas are popular features among homebuyers, making your property more attractive if you decide to sell in the future.
When considering buying an outdoor pizza oven, it’s important to choose one that fits your space, budget, and cooking needs. With proper care and use, an outdoor pizza oven can provide years of delicious meals and enjoyable outdoor cooking experiences.
What is needed for an outdoor pizza oven?
How long to cook pizza in outdoor oven?
The cooking time for a pizza in an outdoor pizza oven can vary widely depending on the specific type of pizza oven, the temperature it reaches, and the thickness of the pizza crust. However, in general, pizzas cooked in outdoor pizza ovens, especially those designed to reach high temperatures, cook very quickly, often in just a few minutes.
For traditional Neapolitan-style pizzas cooked in a wood-fired pizza oven that reaches temperatures around 800°F (427°C) or higher, the cooking time typically ranges from 60 to 90 seconds. These pizzas are thin-crusted and have minimal toppings, allowing them to cook rapidly in the intense heat.
For thicker-crust pizzas or pizzas with more toppings, the cooking time might be slightly longer, usually around 2 to 5 minutes, depending on the oven temperature. It’s important to monitor the pizza closely as it cooks to prevent burning, especially since outdoor pizza ovens operate at extremely high temperatures.
Always refer to the specific instructions provided by the manufacturer of your outdoor pizza oven for the most accurate cooking times and temperatures, as different ovens can vary in their performance. Additionally, the best way to determine the doneness of your pizza is to visually inspect the crust and toppings. When the crust is golden brown, and the cheese is melted and bubbly, your pizza is likely ready to be removed from the oven.
Can you cook more than pizza in an outdoor pizza oven?
Absolutely! Outdoor pizza ovens are incredibly versatile and can be used to cook a wide variety of dishes beyond just pizzas. Here are some ideas:
- Flatbreads: You can make different types of flatbreads, such as naan, pita, or focaccia, in an outdoor pizza oven. The high heat produces a lovely, crispy texture.
- Roasted Vegetables: Vegetables like bell peppers, zucchini, eggplant, and even whole heads of garlic can be roasted in an outdoor pizza oven. The high heat imparts a delicious smoky flavor to the vegetables.
- Steaks and Grilled Meats: The intense heat of an outdoor pizza oven is excellent for quickly searing steaks, chops, or kebabs, giving them a nice crust while keeping the inside juicy.
- Seafood: Grilled fish and shellfish, such as shrimp or scallops, can be cooked in an outdoor pizza oven. You can use a cast-iron pan or grill grate for delicate seafood items.
- Baked Goods: Besides flatbreads, you can bake items like bread, cookies, or even pies in an outdoor pizza oven. Use heat-resistant bakeware or cast-iron cookware for baking.
- Desserts: Get creative with desserts like fruit crisps, cobblers, or even s’mores. The high heat can quickly caramelize sugars and create delicious desserts.
- Vegetarian and Vegan Dishes: Grilled or roasted vegetables, along with items like stuffed peppers or mushrooms, can make hearty and satisfying vegetarian or vegan meals.
- Tandoori Dishes: The high heat of an outdoor pizza oven is perfect for cooking tandoori-style dishes like chicken, paneer, or vegetables.
- Calzones and Empanadas: These stuffed pastries can be cooked to perfection in an outdoor pizza oven, with the crust becoming beautifully crisp.
- Casseroles: Cook hearty casseroles or baked pasta dishes in heat-resistant cookware right in your outdoor pizza oven for a unique, smoky flavor.
Always remember to adjust the cooking time and temperature based on the specific dish you are preparing and keep an eye on your food as it cooks, especially since outdoor pizza ovens operate at very high temperatures. With a bit of experimentation, you can discover a wide range of delicious dishes that can be prepared in your outdoor pizza oven.
What is the best size for a outdoor pizza oven?
The best size for an outdoor pizza oven depends on your specific needs, available space, and how much cooking you plan to do. Here are some general guidelines to help you choose the right size for your outdoor pizza oven:
Small Ovens (12-16 Inches):
- Ideal for small families or individuals.
- Perfect for making personal-sized pizzas.
- Takes up less space, making them suitable for smaller outdoor areas or balconies.
- Quick to heat up due to the smaller internal volume.
Medium Ovens (20-32 Inches):
- Suitable for most families and gatherings.
- Can cook multiple pizzas at once or accommodate larger pizzas.
- Offers a balance between cooking capacity and space efficiency.
- Generally versatile, allowing you to cook other dishes besides pizzas.
Large Ovens (36 Inches and Above):
- Ideal for large families, parties, or events.
- Offers a substantial cooking area, allowing for multiple pizzas or larger dishes simultaneously.
- Excellent for hosting big gatherings and events.
- Provides more flexibility to cook various types of food beyond just pizzas.
When choosing the size of your outdoor pizza oven, consider the following factors:
Space: Measure your available outdoor space to ensure the oven fits comfortably. Leave some extra space around the oven for safety and maneuverability.
Usage: Think about how often you’ll be using the oven and for what purposes. If you frequently host parties or large gatherings, a larger oven might be a better choice.
Budget: Larger ovens tend to be more expensive. Consider your budget when deciding on the size of the oven.
Portability: Smaller ovens are often more portable, making them suitable for camping or outdoor events.
Cooking Time: Smaller ovens heat up faster due to their reduced internal volume. If quick heating is a priority, a smaller oven might be preferable.
Ultimately, the best size for your outdoor pizza oven will depend on your individual preferences and requirements. Consider these factors carefully to choose an oven that meets your cooking needs while fitting comfortably within your outdoor space.
Where is the best place to put an outdoor pizza oven?
The placement of your outdoor pizza oven is crucial for safety, convenience, and efficient cooking. Here are some factors to consider when deciding where to put your outdoor pizza oven:
- Flat Surface: Choose a flat and level surface for your pizza oven. Uneven surfaces can cause instability, making it unsafe to operate the oven. Consider using a sturdy, heat-resistant outdoor countertop or stand if your oven doesn’t come with one.
- Proximity to the House: Place the oven relatively close to your kitchen or dining area to minimize the distance you have to carry food and utensils. However, ensure it’s a safe distance away from the house or any other structures to prevent the risk of fire.
- Ventilation: Adequate ventilation is essential. Make sure there’s enough space around the oven for proper airflow. Placing the oven in an enclosed space can lead to smoke accumulation and pose a fire hazard.
- Safety Clearance: Maintain a safe distance between the pizza oven and nearby structures, including your house, fences, trees, and overhanging branches. Follow the manufacturer’s recommendations for clearance distances to prevent overheating and potential fire hazards.
- Wind Direction: Consider prevailing wind direction in your area. You wouldn’t want smoke blowing directly into your seating or dining area. Position the oven so that prevailing winds carry smoke away from where people will be.
- Accessibility: Ensure the oven is easily accessible. It should be convenient to carry food and utensils to and from the oven. Consider the pathway from your kitchen to the outdoor oven area.
- Lighting: If you plan to use the oven in the evening, ensure there’s adequate lighting in the area. This is not only essential for cooking but also for safety.
- Protection: While outdoor pizza ovens are designed to withstand the elements, consider investing in a cover to protect the oven from rain and harsh weather conditions when not in use. This can prolong the life of your oven.
- Local Regulations: Check local regulations, homeowner association rules, or permits needed for outdoor structures like pizza ovens. Some areas have restrictions on open flames and outdoor cooking appliances.
- Aesthetics: Lastly, consider the aesthetics of your outdoor space. Place the pizza oven where it enhances the overall look and feel of your outdoor area, creating a cozy and inviting atmosphere for cooking and dining.
By taking these factors into account, you can find the best location for your outdoor pizza oven, ensuring both safety and functionality.
Factors to consider when choosing the best outdoor pizza oven
When choosing the best outdoor pizza oven, several factors should be considered to ensure you select a model that fits your needs and preferences. Here’s a comprehensive list of factors to consider:
Type of Pizza Oven:
- Wood-Fired, Gas, or Hybrid: Determine whether you prefer the authenticity of wood-fired ovens, the convenience of gas ovens, or the flexibility of hybrid models that can use both fuels.
Size and Cooking Area:
- Consider the size of the oven and its cooking area. Choose an oven size that matches the amount of cooking you plan to do and the available space in your outdoor area.
- Check the maximum temperature the oven can reach. Higher temperatures (above 800°F or 427°C) are ideal for Neapolitan-style pizzas, while lower temperatures offer versatility for cooking other dishes.
- Consider how quickly the oven heats up. Some models can reach high temperatures in as little as 15-20 minutes, providing quick preheating for spontaneous cooking sessions.
- Look for ovens made from high-quality materials like stainless steel, refractory concrete, or brick, ensuring durability and heat retention.
- Good insulation helps the oven maintain high temperatures and improves fuel efficiency. Insulated ovens also remain cooler on the outside, enhancing safety.
- Determine whether you need a portable oven for camping or outdoor events. Portable models are generally smaller and lighter, making them easier to transport.
- Evaluate the oven’s versatility. Some models are designed exclusively for pizzas, while others can cook a variety of dishes, such as bread, roasts, and desserts.
Ease of Use:
- Consider user-friendly features like adjustable airflow, easy ignition systems (for gas ovens), and intuitive temperature controls.
- Check how easy it is to clean and maintain the oven. Removable parts and easy-to-clean surfaces simplify the cleaning process.
Accessories and Add-ons:
- Look for included accessories like pizza peels, thermometers, or cooking stones. Some models offer additional add-ons, enhancing your outdoor cooking experience.
- Determine your budget and find a pizza oven that offers the best features and quality within your price range.
- Research reputable brands known for their quality and customer satisfaction. Reading reviews and testimonials can provide insights into the reliability of the brand and its products.
- Check local regulations, homeowner association rules, or permits needed for outdoor cooking appliances, ensuring your chosen oven complies with local laws.
Considering these factors will help you find the best outdoor pizza oven that aligns with your cooking needs, lifestyle, and budget.
Why Trust Us
You will find what you are looking for at Jody's Bakery. From classic to luxury brands, you'll find both. We will help you to select appliances that fit your needs, budget and lifestyle. Whether you want to stop by to learn more — or plan to make a major purchase — we’ll treat you like family and assist you every step of the way. Shop with us today to receive friendly and experienced help along the way.