My Aunt Rose’s Fresh Apple Cake made into yummy filled cookies! What could be better? I’ve seen carrot cakes and even red velvet cakes made into cookies so I wanted to make my favorite cake into cookies.
I experimented with the spices and the amount of flour and the type of apple, trying several variations and ended up with the following recipe. I want to thank all my co-workers and family for being my testers and for all their input into the project.
Why is it called a whoopie pie?
The origin of the name “whoopie pie” is not entirely clear, and there are a few theories about its origin. One theory is that the name comes from the whoops of delight that people would make when they saw the pies.
Another theory is that the name comes from a New England tradition of calling things “pies” that are not actually pies, such as meat-filled pastries that are called “meat pies” but are actually more like turnovers or pasties. Regardless of its origins, whoopie pies have become a popular dessert in many parts of the United States, particularly in the Northeast.
What is a substitute for apple pie spice?
If you don’t have apple pie spice on hand, you can make a substitute by combining 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, 1/4 teaspoon allspice, and 1/8 teaspoon cardamom. Mix them well and use the amount required for your recipe. You can adjust the measurements to your taste preference.
Is a moon pie the same thing as a whoopie pie?
No, a moon pie and a whoopie pie are not the same thing.
A whoopie pie is a traditional dessert from the northeastern United States, made with two cake-like cookies sandwiched around a sweet filling, usually made with marshmallow fluff or buttercream frosting.
On the other hand, a moon pie is a Southern treat made with two graham cracker cookies sandwiching a marshmallow filling and coated in chocolate or another flavored coating. The texture and taste of a moon pie is different from a whoopie pie.
How to make Apple Spice Whoopies
Here’s a recipe for making Apple Spice Whoopie Pies:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
For the filling:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg and vanilla extract until well combined. Add the applesauce and mix until incorporated.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture, mixing until just combined.
- Use a cookie scoop or spoon to drop rounded balls of dough onto the prepared baking sheet, spacing them about 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until the edges are golden brown and the centers are set. Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For the filling, beat together the butter, powdered sugar, vanilla extract, and cinnamon until smooth and creamy.
- Once the cookies have cooled completely, use a piping bag or spoon to spread the filling on the flat side of half of the cookies. Top with the remaining cookies to form sandwich cookies.
- Serve immediately or store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
How long does it take to making apple spice whoopies?
The total time required to make Apple Spice Whoopie Pies may vary depending on the recipe and individual preferences, but generally, it takes around 30-45 minutes for preparation and 10-12 minutes for baking. Additionally, there may be some cooling and assembly time required. Overall, it could take around 1-2 hours to make and serve Apple Spice Whoopie Pies.
Tips for making apple spice whoopies
Here are some tips for making apple spice whoopie pies:
- Use room temperature ingredients: Bring all the ingredients to room temperature before starting. This will help the batter to mix evenly and result in a smoother texture.
- Use a cookie scoop: Use a cookie scoop or ice cream scoop to portion out the batter onto the baking sheet. This will ensure that the cookies are all the same size and will bake evenly.
- Use parchment paper: Line your baking sheet with parchment paper to prevent the cookies from sticking and to make clean up easier.
- Don’t overmix the batter: Overmixing the batter can result in tough and dense cookies. Mix until just combined.
- Chill the dough: Chilling the dough for at least 30 minutes before baking will help the cookies hold their shape and prevent them from spreading too much.
- Don’t overbake the cookies: Overbaking the cookies can result in dry and crunchy cookies. Keep an eye on the cookies while they are baking and take them out of the oven when they are just set and lightly golden.
- Store the whoopie pies properly: Store the whoopie pies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. You can also freeze the whoopie pies for up to 1 month.
Apple Spice Whoopies are a delicious and easy-to-make dessert that can be enjoyed by anyone who loves the flavor of apples and spices. With a few simple ingredients and some basic baking skills, you can whip up a batch of these tasty treats in no time.
Some tips for making the perfect Apple Spice Whoopies include using high-quality ingredients, measuring your ingredients carefully, and following the recipe closely. You can also experiment with different spices and fillings to create your own unique version of this classic dessert. So go ahead and give it a try, and enjoy the delicious taste of fall in every bite!
Why Trust Us
You will find what you are looking for at Jody's Bakery. From classic to luxury brands, you'll find both. We will help you to select appliances that fit your needs, budget and lifestyle. Whether you want to stop by to learn more — or plan to make a major purchase — we’ll treat you like family and assist you every step of the way. Shop with us today to receive friendly and experienced help along the way.