If you frequently prepare fish, you know that a good fillet knife makes all the difference when designing it. However, have you ever used an electric knife? Something about filleting fish with an electric knife makes the process much more efficient and straightforward.
There are numerous advantages to filleting fish with an electric knife, and many depend on having the best electric knife available. If you choose a high-quality knife, it will remain sharp for longer and help you complete the filleting process in mere minutes.
What is the most influential electric filleting knife? The ideal electric filleting knife should be versatile enough to fillet various fish. It should be comfortable and durable and provide constant control over the knife. Multiple blade options are ideal.
In this article, we will discuss the nine best electric filleting knives. We’ve scoured the market for the best options and have in-depth evaluations of each one to share with you today.
Please stick with us to learn everything you should know about the best electric knives for filleting fish.
Our Top Picks
Why Should You Use Electric Knife For Filleting Fish?
Filleting fish is a delicate process and using the wrong knife can easily ruin your hard work. An electric fillet knife is the best tool for the job, providing a clean, precise cut with little effort.
There are several reasons why an electric fillet knife is superior to a regular kitchen knife for filleting fish:
- The blade of an electric fillet knife is much thinner than that of a regular kitchen knife. This makes cleaning, precise cuts through the fish flesh much more straightforward.
- An electric fillet knife is sharper than a regular kitchen knife. This means that you can make cleaner, smoother cuts with less effort.
- The handle of an electric fillet knife is designed to fit comfortably in your hand, making it easier to grip and control the blade.
- An electric fillet knife is much easier to use than a regular kitchen knife. The blade does all the work, so you must guide it along with the fish.
- An electric fillet knife is much safer than a regular kitchen knife. The blade is completely enclosed, so there is no risk of cutting yourself.
If you’re serious about filleting fish, an electric knife is the only way to go. It’s the best tool for the job and will make your life much easier. So why not give one a try? You won’t be disappointed.
What is the Ideal Fish Fillet Knife Size?
Depending on the size and species of the fish, various blade sizes can be utilized.
- 6-Inch Blade – Perfect for trout and panfish
- 6-Inch Curved Knife – Saltwater fish
- 7-Inch-Wide Knife – Tough-skinned fish
- 9-Inch Knife – Best for larger fish (cod, bluefish, Mahi)
- 10-inch Knife – Tuna, shark, swordfish
Factors To Consider When Choosing The Best Electric Knife For Filleting Fish
There are essential factors to consider when selecting an electric knife, especially if you intend to use it for a specific purpose, such as filleting fish.
The good news is that most electric knives are versatile and capable of performing this and other tasks. There are a few features you may want to keep an eye out for or keep in mind as you evaluate your options, so review the following before making a choice.
The electric knife’s handle can make a significant difference. It must feel good in your hand, but you must also be able to maintain a firm and steady grip.
Occasionally, filleting fish requires focus and concentration, so the process will go much more smoothly if your hands are not aching while you work. An ergonomic handle is also not a bad idea.
The material of the handle is an additional factor to consider. You don’t want to worry about the motor overheating and possibly burning your hand, so keep an eye out for non-conductive materials here.
Lastly, an insulated handle can prevent a hot handle and shocks from the handle.
You are in the best position if you can find a quality knife with variable speed options. This provides additional control over the process. Similarly, be prepared to choose a knife without variable speed, as it can be challenging to locate.
The ability to modulate your blade’s speed can improve the overall precision of your filleting. This is not a required feature, but it is a nice one that you may wish to be aware of.
Storage and Protection
We recommend selecting a knife with a bag or case for transport.
There are several moving parts on an electric knife, including the handle, the blade(s), and the cord. It’s convenient to have the option to keep everything together and protected when not in use. You can store everything in a single location in the kitchen or your fishing kit!
Some knives come with nothing at all. Other knives have a simple carrying case, allowing you to transport your filleting knife easily.
The ultimate sets come with a sturdy hard case so that you never have to worry about the safety of your knife and can keep all the parts and pieces together.
Lastly, safety is essential. It would be best if you considered your security and the knife’s safety features.
The motor is one of the most important safety factors. It’s common for motors to overheat, causing the handle to become extremely hot if you’re not careful.
Most knife manufacturers have a ventilation or cooling system to prevent this. Safety also accounts for knife handling, cleaning, and storage when the blade is not used.
Regarding blade safety, it is essential to ensure that the trigger will not be activated by accident.
Most knives have a simple trigger or safety lock so that when the trigger is released, it locks and must be manually unlocked to be used again.
These are essential components for ensuring that your knife has safety features. Even with ventilation, finding a filleting knife that does not become warm can be challenging.
The key is to avoid blocking the ventilation while working. After that, it may be necessary to work in batches to allow the product time to cool.
We also suggest pairing your knife with a good vacuum sealer for fish to enjoy your catch for months!
11 Best Electric Knives For Filleting Fish
When it comes to electric knives, there are many different options available. We did the research and testing, so you don’t have to, and we could narrow the field.
Here are our top selections for the 11 best electric filleting knives:
Whether you want something with all the bells and whistles or something simple yet effective, we’ve got you covered. Let’s examine each of these rogues in greater detail, shall we?
1. Rapala Heavy Duty Electric Fillet Knife
Rapala Heavy Duty Electric Fillet Knife Grey/Black, 7 1/2" Blade
Rapala provides an excellent solution for an electric fillet knife that works quite well for fish. This highly rated option falls in the middle of the pricing spectrum. The blades measure 7.5 inches in length, while the handles measure 9 inches.
This option is straightforward, reliable, and efficient. It has ample ventilation around the end of the handle, so if the vents are not obstructed, it shouldn’t overheat quickly. It is constructed with a heavy-duty motor that should last even when filleting multiple fish.
The blade is removable for cleaning and dishwasher safe. It has a slender body and a curve with a sharp point, making it ideal for filleting. This black and gray option has ample power and a short trigger. This knife’s simplicity and effectiveness are its primary selling points.
- Double the speed
- Three times the power
- Relaxed grip body
- Heavy Duty Motor
- 7 1/2″ dishwasher safe reciprocating blades
- Twice the speed and three times the power of standard electric fillet knives
- Reciprocating 7/5-inch blade
- Simple but effective design
- Well vented handle to prevent overheating
- Lightweight and comfortable
- Heavy-duty motor that lasts
- You may have to sharpen or replace the blade often.
- No protective case or cover of any kind.
2. Best Budget: Mister Twister 120V Electric Knife
Mister Twister 120V Electric Knife (Green/Yellow)
If you’re looking for something designed specifically for anglers, you’ve found it. In fact, “electric fisherman” is printed on the knife’s handle. This vibrant yellow and green hue is another highly rated option. This one is also affordable, which is a bonus.
If you have never heard of Mister Twister, you have been deprived. In the fishing industry, the name is well-known. This model’s overall simplicity is enhanced by its color scheme. It operates at 120 volts and is effective.
This knife’s blade release feature makes removing or replacing the blade easy. The power trigger has a safety lock to reduce the likelihood of accidental activation. This is a durable knife that can withstand heavy use, and it can be used for far more than just fish.
- Legendary Mister Twister action
- Features 120V AC
- Features a Convenient blade release
- Features a safety lock
- Fun yellow and green colors
- Simple overall design
- Highly rated across the board
- Versatile for many uses
- Blade releases easily when needed
- It seems the design has changed slightly, and the power is not as strong as previous models.
3. Best Splurge: American Angler PRO Electric Fillet Knife
American Angler PRO Electric Fillet Knife, Stainless Steel
To call this, a “Pro” knife would be an understatement. This American Angler fillets fish to perfection, as it is four times more durable than standard heavy-duty electric knives. It has an ergonomic handle, advanced airflow, and a professional motor that can handle any fish.
In addition, it comes with five different sizes of stainless-steel blades.
When it comes time to clean your catch at the end of the day, you need a reliable knife. You do not want a knife that performs poorly, lacks power, overheats quickly, has dull blades, or has a short lifespan. It only slows you down, especially if you are filleting a lot of fish. Therefore, they designed a knife for every American angler.
I have used a traditional fillet knife to fillet fish for the past 50 years, but when I saw a man using an American Angler electric fillet knife, I became intrigued and spoke with him. He convinced me, and I placed an order.
I’ve used it to fillet trout, perch, catfish, and bass, and I adore it. It is so much better than a manual filet knife that I regretted not having purchased one years ago. After removing a fillet, removing the skin is much more straightforward, effortless, and quick with this tool. Excellent job, American Angler!
- Five Blade Sizes
- Stainless-Steel, Durable Design
- Easy to Use
- Advanced Airflow Design
- Ergonomic Handset
- Extremely Durable
- 2-year warranty
- Super strong blade
- Cleanly removes scales and skin
- The charger has a long cord
- Blade storage pouch isn't high quality
- Inserting the blade is fiddly
- Buttons aren't the most responsive
4. Cuisinart CEK-41 Electric Knife
Cuisinart CEK-41 Electric Knife Set with Cutting Board, Stainless Steel/Black
Cuisinart is a well-known kitchen brand renowned for its quality and affordability. This electric filleting knife from Cuisinart is another excellent option. The blade is designed to be versatile, so it should be able to perform a variety of tasks. In addition, you receive a carving fork to facilitate the process. You may also select 1 or 2 blades for your purchase.
The blade is made of stainless steel, making it sturdy and durable. Again, this design is straightforward but highly effective. It has a sleek, comfortable modern handle that is black and contemporary. The blade release is simple to manipulate, and the blade can be easily replaced or cleaned.
The power trigger is not protected for safety by a small panel, but it is equipped with a lock so that the knife locks when the trigger is released. This prevents accidental activation until the lock is released.
- Universal stainless steel micro-serrated blade cuts bread and meat
- Comfortable ergonomic handle for right- or left-handed use
- Carving/serving fork with stainless steel tines
- Compact bamboo cutting board
- Blade release button for quick, dishwasher cleanup
- Safety lock button instantly locks knife when trigger is released
- Storage tray for power handle, blade, fork – cutting board sits under tray
- Simple, universal design
- Trusted kitchen brand
- Blade is easy to release for cleaning and replacement
- Quality materials built to last
- Comfortable and easy to use
- The casing isn’t very sturdy.
- Works best on carving softer fish and skin.
5. Waring Commercial WEK200 Cordless Rechargeable Electric Knife
Waring Commercial WEK200 Cordless Rechargeable Electric Knife w/Bread and Carving Blades, Includes Case, 120V, 5-15 Phase Plug
This next option is cordless and of commercial quality. You will not have to worry about the cord or where to plug in the device.
If you like to bring your knife fishing, you can charge it ahead of time and have it ready when you need it!
This knife includes the knife itself, two blades, a charger, and a durable carrying case. A firm and comfortable grip makes it simple to handle. Even the handle has a guard to prevent your hand from slipping.
This item features two extremely sturdy and sharp blades. These are filleting blades, so their size, shape, and point are ideal for the task. This operates with a powerful and reliable motor with ventilation on the handle.
- Cordless, rechargeable and portable
- Ergonomic handle minimizes fatigue
- Adjustable slicing guide ensures a consistent cut
- Detachable blades for easy cleaning
- CULUS, ETL Sanitation
- Comfortable and sturdy grip with finger grooves
- Comes with a solid case
- 2 blade sizes
- Well-made, durable, and reliable
- Should you need help, customer service isn’t the greatest.
- The battery must be fully charged to power the unit to start.
6. Hamilton Beach Electric Knife
Hamilton Beach Electric Knife for Carving Meats, Poultry, Bread, Crafting Foam & More, Storage Case & Serving Fork Included, White
Finally, we present another universally applicable electric knife. The blade is primarily long and thin with a serrated edge and a narrow tip, so it can still be used effectively for filleting fish despite being universal.
This electric knife weighs only approximately 2 pounds. It has a straightforward design of gray and white, but this does not prevent it from being efficient and effective.
The blade can effortlessly slice through meats and rugged exteriors, among other materials. The grip is sturdy and comfortable, and the trigger has a safety lock. It’s also ergonomic. This and a small serving fork are in a sturdy, dependable case.
- Space-saving storage case
- Stainless steel blade and fork
- Perfect for carving meat and slicing all types of bread
- Comes in a solid, sturdy case
- Stainless steel blade
- Universal blade design that will work for filleting
- Ergonomic handle
- Very simple yet very effective overall
- The motor does run hot when used for extended lengths of time.
- The handle is very large and may not be easy to grip for smaller hand sizes.
7. Mr Twister SW Piranha Knife
Mister Twister MT-1208 Mr Twister SW Piranha Knife
This is yet another Mister Twister option, which is fantastic. This knife has a few additional features compared to the traditional knife we’ve already discussed. It was designed for saltwater fish, with plenty of power and a heavy-duty construction intended to work well for some more challenging species.
This sucker is lightweight and highly user-friendly. It is available in white and blue and includes a handle, blade, and carrying case. It is straightforward but also formidable and intended for use in the workplace.
The blade is made of stainless steel. The blade’s length is 9 inches. It is serrated and extremely sharp. It will sever whatever you place it against. The handle is also well-made and has ventilation to prevent overheating. The motor has increased torque and speed compared to the standard Mister Twister knife.
- Can handle any big fish with 9″ heavy-duty stainless-steel blade
- Means less time cleaning fish and more time on the water
- Contoured handle provides for comfortable use
- Maximum cutting cycles to get the job done quickly and easily
- More torque and more speed
- Blade designed to cut through even the toughest fish
- Heavy-duty fillet knife
- Comes with handle, blade, and carrying case
- Built to be long-lasting and reliable
- Some parts may not come as advertised.
- Replacement parts are very hard to find.
8. Best Multi-Purpose: Berkley Electric Fillet Fishing Knife
Berkley Fillet Knife Deluxe Electric with Stndrd/Vehicle Plg/Bttry Clips/Case, Red/Blk
The Berkley Electric Fillet knife is the next item on the list. There are a few other options, including a 12-volt or 110-volt knife with no extra blades or plugs.
A 6-inch and an 8-inch blade are included with the deluxe model. These blades are made of stainless steel and are corrosion resistant. These filleting knives’ shape, curve, and tips are ideal for fish filleting.
The ergonomic design of this handle ensures maximum comfort while working. It is always comfortable in a variety of holding positions. Additionally, there is a safety lock to prevent accidental activation during use.
This convenient carrying case comes with a complete knife, two blades, a power cord, a 12-volt vehicle plug, battery clips, and a power cord.
- 6″ and 8″ stainless steel blades resist corrosion
- Side release buttons prevent accidental blade release during operation
- Includes 110-volt standard plug, 12-volt vehicle plug, battery clips and carrying case
- Deluxe kit comes with everything you need
- Get a 6 and 8-inch quality blade
- Comfortable handle
- Slide release on trigger for safety
- Very well-made overall
- The motor torque is powerful enough that sometimes the plastic casing can’t hold up.
- The battery doesn’t last long when unplugged.
9. Rapala Deluxe Electric Fillet Knife
The Rapala deluxe is the only corded model on the market that is somewhat portable and provides several options for traveling.
This is because of the number of adapters included with the blade. The package consists of a 110V AC, 12V Post Clips, and 12V Lighter Plug.
You can power it via the wall outlet, your vehicle’s or jeep’s battery, or your vehicle’s or boat’s lighter port.
Like the other Rapala on the list, this knife features interchangeable stainless steel reciprocating blades measuring six and 7½ inches, allowing it to fillet both small and large fish species.
As you fillet your catch, the extra-long 18-foot power cord gives you ample space to work and the freedom to move around.
The Rapala deluxe is lightweight, weighing only 1 pound, and its handle contains a powerful, quiet motor with advanced airflow technology to keep things running cool and smoothly.
- Relaxed Grip Body
- Includes Adapters for 110V AC, 12V Post Clips & 12V Lighter Plug
- Advanced Air Flow Design
- Quiet Long-Lasting Motor
- 18 Foot Power Cord
- Blades: Stainless Steel.
- Variety of adapters means you can use it in the kitchen, or on the go.
- Suitable for filleting both small and large fish.
- Long 18-foot power cord.
- Comes with a carry case.
- Stainless steel blades.
- Carry case could be a little bigger to comfortably hold the long power cord.
- The blade release button is in an awkward spot.
10. BLACK+DECKER Electric Carving Knife
BLACK+DECKER Electric Carving Knife, Black
This Black & Decker electric knife exemplifies excellence. This tool, manufactured by a reputable company, can serve as an all-purpose knife.
This knife’s blade is serrated, so it can be used to cut bread and various types of fish. However, you shouldn’t only use this knife for bread and fish. This powerhouse can slice through anything, including chicken, turkey, and bones.
This knife’s ergonomic handle makes it a pleasure to hold. It gives the user a secure grip that does not loosen even after extended use.
This knife’s blade can be removed and either washed by hand or placed in the dishwasher for easier cleaning.
- Stainless Steel Blades
- Comfort Grip Handle
- Dishwasher-Safe Parts
- Safety Lock Button
- Blade Release Button
- 9-inch-long blade.
- Powerful and strong.
- Simple and safe switch.
- Ergonomic handle.
- Electric motor uses brushes.
- 30 days warranty only.
11. Best for Thin Cuts: Smith's 51233 Lawaia Electric Fillet Knife
Smith's 51233 Lawaia Electric Fillet Knife, White
If you wish to cut a thin fillet, thick blades will not serve you well, despite their durability and sturdiness. The Lawaia electric fillet knife from Smith comes with two narrow and thin edges, ensuring a precise cut every time. Each blade comes with a protective cover. The entire set includes a mesh carrying case for convenient storage and transport.
Smith’s blade could be a suitable solution if you frequently find yourself with electric fillet knives that overheat after prolonged use. This product’s superior airflow guarantees a comfortable grip and dependable power source with minimal risk of overheating. The product packaging includes a glove for your safety.
Smith’s electric fillet knife is as powerful as any other, but its precision is where it truly shines. Smith’s knife is exact and easy to control. If you are a beginner at filleting, this is one of the best knives you can purchase.
- Removable Blades
- 7″ Stainless Steel Blade
- 7″ Stainless Steel Flex Blade
- 6′ 120 volt AC power cord
- Smith’s Fillet XL Fillet Glove
- Marine grade mesh storage bag
- Included components: Electric Knife; 8″ Flex Fillet Blade w/Sheath; 8″ Fillet Blade w/Sheath; Fillet Glove; Storage Bag; Packaging
- Efficient and powerful
- Comes with a protective glove
- Handle fits nicely in hands
- Easy to remove and insert blades
- Transports easily with mesh travel and storage bag
- Only an average-length cord
- Thin blades also mean that can be somewhat flimsy
Best Electric Knife For Filleting Fish - FAQs
A fillet knife is a thin, flexible knife used primarily for filleting, which involves removing the fish’s bones and slicing the flesh into boneless slices.
Fillet knives have blades specifically designed for this purpose and give you control over the entire process, allowing you to prepare your fish quickly. Their (mostly!) stainless-steel blades have the ideal shape for effortlessly slicing through skin and meat, allowing for laser-precise cuts.
Yes, the blade can be sharpened if proper sharpening techniques are used. As fillet knives typically have serrated edges, you need to sharpen the blade with a block sharpener. Most of these blades may not retain their initial sharpness.
Electric knives have increased power. Using the motorized blade, it is typically simpler to cut through or around edges, as well as fish meat and scales. Some fish can be resilient, so using an electric knife simplifies the process and allows you to move more quickly.
Typically, a filleting blade is thin, curved, and pointed. This style is utilized for the filleting process because it allows easy movement over the fish’s parts. You can use other blades, but this style truly works the best.
Electric fillet knives are designed to facilitate the filleting process, but their rigidity makes them challenging to use for beginners. If you are a beginner at filleting, we recommend that you begin with a traditional knife and then progress to the electric version as you gain experience.
Electric knives are superior because they permit cutting and slicing without applying pressure to the blade, making the entire process effortless. And if you intend to clean a great deal of fish, an electric fillet knife is an absolute necessity.
Before finalizing the purchase of your favorite knife, you must ensure that it meets your needs:
- Handle – A comfortable grip is essential not only for enhanced control but also for reasons of safety. Choose a filleting knife with a comfortable grip to facilitate the process.
- Blades: Opt for resilient edges that meet your requirements. Add dishwasher-safe and detachable to the list if you want an easier cleanup.
For more filleting options, you may consider purchasing a knife with multiple blade sizes.
While it is true that almost any knife can be used for any task, specialty knives exist for a reason. You could fillet with a butcher’s knife if skilled and determined.
Before purchasing an electric fillet knife, there are various factors to consider. We hope we have clarified some of the advantages and disadvantages of using an electric knife versus a conventional blade.
You can save a few things by using an electric knife instead of a conventional hand-held knife. First and foremost, time. Using an electric knife instead of a traditional knife saves a great deal of time, especially when working with large quantities of fish or other meat. Additionally, you will save money.
You must have witnessed how expensive some professional and high-quality knives can be. Purchasing an electric one infrequently costs more than $80, but it may cost as much as $200. These arguments should convince you to buy an electric fillet knife rather than a conventional one.
Even tough-skinned, large fish can be easily filleted with the proper knife. We hope this article assisted you in selecting the best electric fillet knife for your fish-preparation requirements. Share your deboning experiences with us, and let’s assist other enthusiasts in filleting!
Why Trust Us
You will find what you are looking for at Jody's Bakery. From classic to luxury brands, you'll find both. We will help you to select appliances that fit your needs, budget and lifestyle. Whether you want to stop by to learn more — or plan to make a major purchase — we’ll treat you like family and assist you every step of the way. Shop with us today to receive friendly and experienced help along the way.