I realized I needed to address the issue of canning on a glass-top stove because I get so many questions about it! Is it then safe? Yes…and no, it is intricate.
Is canning on a glass-topped stove safe? Will I damage the cooktop? Most people know that a stove with a glass top presents the risk of shattered glass. But did you know that if your equipment is incompatible with your stove, you may not adequately prepare your food?
Numerous reader comments indicate they successfully attempted canning on a glass-top stove. Occasionally, someone will report that theirs is broken or that it overheated and lost pressure. It will depend on the manufacturer, the stove you’re using, and the canner you’re utilizing (and for how long). So many variables exist when canning on a glass-top stove!
Our Top Picks
Can I use Pressure Canner On A Glass Top Stove?
Yes, you can use a pressure canner on a glass top stove. However, you will need to take some special precautions to prevent the canner from cracking the stovetop. Place a layer of heavy-duty aluminum foil over the surface of the stovetop before setting the canner on it.
Be sure to use a canning rack to prevent the canner from directly contacting the stovetop. When pressure is reached, please turn off the heat and allow the canner to cool down on its own. Never attempt to open a pressure canner while it is still under pressure. Wait until the pressure has been released and the canner is completely cooled before removing the lid.
Benefits of using Pressure Canner For Glass Top Stove
Many people don’t realize the benefits of using pressure canners, especially on glass top stoves. Pressure canning is a great way to preserve food, and it’s straightforward.
There are many benefits to using a pressure canner on a glass top stove.
- First, it’s a great way to save money. Canning your food can save you a lot of money, especially if you grow your vegetables.
- Second, pressure canning is a great way to preserve food. Pressure canning helps maintain the flavor and nutrients in food, so it’s a great way to keep your food tasting fresh.
- Third, pressure canning is a great way to get rid of toxins in food. Pressure canning helps kill bacteria and toxins, so it’s a great way to ensure your food is safe to eat.
- Fourth, pressure canning is a great way to store food. Pressure canning helps keep food fresh for extended periods so that you can store it for later use.
- Fifth, pressure canning is a great way to cook food. Pressure canning helps cook food evenly, so it’s a great way to get the most out of your food.
- Sixth, pressure canning is a great way to sterilize food. Pressure canning helps kill bacteria and toxins, so it’s a great way to ensure your food is safe to eat.
- Seventh, pressure canning is a great way to can food. Canning your food can save you a lot of money, and it’s a great way to get the most out of your food.
Pressure canning is a great way to preserve food and has many benefits. Pressure canning is an excellent option if you’re looking for a way to save money, keep food, or get the most out of your food.
What is the best pressure canner for Glass Top Stove?
When I’m trying to prepare meals with limited time and resources, pressure canners are always useful. Pressure canning is vastly distinct from traditional pot canning and is primarily used for low-acid foods like meat.
I’ve always wanted to try pressure-canning fruits, vegetables, and meat, but I never believed it was possible on a glass stove top. After conducting extensive research, I gathered some facts.
You can always use your pressure canner on a glass stove top, but you must ensure the quality of your stove range.
We suggested checking with the manufacturer once, and if he says you can proceed, we advise you to immediately begin the canning process.
Using a pressure canner has resulted in the fracturing of numerous glass tops. It predominantly occurs with low-quality glass ranges.
A second issue I encountered with the glass range is that certain glass stoves have an automatic shutoff feature if the temperature gets too high.
It will be impossible to can your jars if the temperature fluctuates constantly. The best pressure canner is always determined by its quality and capacity to reach the maximum pressure required for canning foods and destroying all microorganisms safely.
I, too, have often wondered what the best pressure canner for a glass top stove is. To aid you in the process, I recommend my all-time favorite pressure canner, which works flawlessly on my gas stovetop and has never caused me any problems.
6 Best Pressure Canner For Glass Top Stove
If you are looking for the best pressure canner for a glass top stove, you have come to the right place. In this article, we will look at six of the best options on the market so that you can make an informed decision about which one is right for you.
1. Best Overall: Presto 23qt. Pressure Canner / Cooker
Presto 01781 23-Quart Pressure Canner and Cooker
Perhaps the 01781 23- Quart Pressure Canner and Cooker is the most well-known model in the Presto product line. This model is not only efficient and functional but also very adaptable. This makes this model a popular option among numerous individuals. Despite that, this model is surprisingly affordable. As a result, this model is a popular choice among many, as it can be purchased on a limited budget when necessary.
Ultimately, this model is prevalent and one of the best-sellers on the canner market. Therefore, the primary characteristics of this model must be studied to comprehend what people adore.
A pressure canner is no more dangerous than any other kitchen tool if you follow the instructions, do not attempt to open it while it is still under pressure, and maintain it properly. I began pressure canning chicken after purchasing several eBooks on canning chicken, beef, ground beef, and beans from a canning author.
Canning is another step toward self-sufficiency and knowing precisely what is in your food, in my opinion. The instructions specify that it can only be heated with a burner producing no more than 12,000 BTU.
If your stovetop is flat (e.g., glass), the bottom of your pot must be extremely flat. If you overheat this canner, it will no longer function properly (if at all) on any electric stove. It is far too hot to use this canner on the propane burner of a deep turkey fryer.
Presto’s aluminum pressure cooker with a 23-quart capacity is a kitchen warrior. It cooks food quickly while preserving a substantial amount of flavor lost when using alternative methods, such as a microwave.
The Presto 1781 Aluminum Pressure cooker contains all the necessary components for pressure cooking and canning. It is spacious, secure, and affordable! In addition, this pressure cooker is cost-effective, given that despite its substantial durability, it comes at a very reasonable price.
The Presto pressure canner is an excellent option for those seeking a quick-heating appliance and those who wish to preserve fruits, jams, jellies, and other low-acid foods.
- Pressure gauge dial
- Turn-and-seal gasket lid
- Suitable for use on glass top ranges
- Includes a jar rack, manual and recipe guide, as well as a limited warranty
- Constructed of heavy gauge aluminum, ideal for speedy cooking
- Doubles as a boiling water canner and food preserver
- Large capacity pressure cooker
- Considered by some to be bulky and not ideal for those needing a far less capacity canner
2. Zavor EZLock 10 Quart Stove-top Pressure Cooker & Canner
Zavor EZLock 10 Quart Stove-top Pressure Cooker & Canner – Multi Pressure Settings, Universal Locking Mechanism, Recipe Book & Steamer Basket – 3 1Qt Jar Canning Capacity, Stainless Steel (ZCWEZ05)
The EZLock pressure cooker is designed with the most recent innovation – an automatic universal self-locking mechanism ensuring the most significant usability. The lid does not require alignment because it can be secured on the pressure cooker pot. Two pressure settings (High and Low) offer the versatility to cook even the most delicate foods.
The universal locking system will not unlock under internal pressure. A safety vent allows excess pressure to escape. Add ingredients per the recipe, place the lid on the pot in any position, and set the pressure. Once it is reached, commence cooking.
The EZLock cooks food three times faster than conventional methods, saving time and effort. Turn-to-Lock knob secures the lid in any position on the pot; no alignment is necessary!
This model appeared more “modern” and user-friendly, so I purchased it. Nobody could be happier! It comes with its recipes, but my previous pressure cooker recipes have worked just as well in this one. The most remarkable feature is the locking system that clamps the pot, eliminating the need to struggle to close it.
While cooking, the pot was quiet and did not make as much noise as pressure cookers. Its gasket is also made of silicone rather than rubber, so it will not need to be replaced frequently.
When pressure is reached, the red pressure indicator will rise, and when pressure is released, it will fall. Therefore, I consider Zavor one of the best pressure cookers I’ve used that is also compatible with glass stove tops.
- Made of 18/10 stainless steel
- Universal locking lid
- Two pressure settings HIGH (15 psi) and LOW (10 psi)
- Works on all stoves
- No trouble of finding the proper positioning for closing the lid with its universal lid locking system.
- Simple and safe to use.
- Also works amazingly as a food canner.
- Canning food might take extra time and effort.
- Not wide enough for optimum searing.
3. All American 921 Canner Pressure Cooker, 21.5 qt
All American 921 Canner Pressure Cooker, 21.5 qt, Silver
Do not be frightened by the intimidating appearance of this pot; trust me when I say that it is ideal for all your cooking and canning needs.
All American is the brand renowned for its impeccable quality and flawlessness, as the best manufacturers produce it. It asserts that it is the best pressure cooker brand in the world, and we are here to test this claim and determine what all the fuss is about.
This pot typically comes in large sizes because it is used for multiple purposes, such as large-scale canning, and it excels in all these areas. We purchased the pot, and I won’t lie I was terrified the first time I saw it. However, after reading the manual, I found the handling quite simple.
Aluminum is used for the exterior, which I am aware is not the highest quality material, but with All American, even aluminum cookers are highly durable and sturdy. As the pot is also used for canning, it has adjustable pressure settings that aid in cooking.This pot is big, so I brought it out when I was asked to prepare beef chili for a large cookout in my new pot.
Numerous recipes exist for the preparation of this crowd-favorite dish. My recipe is simple, and the All-American cooker makes it even simpler. With the aid of the pot’s heat-resistant handles, I could move the pot around while it was still on the stove.
The pot seals very securely, preventing any pressure from escaping. My cooking time was reduced threefold, taking only thirty minutes. With the help of an All-American pressure cooker and canner, I can provide my family with a healthy and nutritious meal because the food was not exposed to high heat for an extended period.
After the party, I didn’t know what to do with the leftover beef chili, so I brought quart-sized jars and attempted to can it. I ended up with beef chili that can be kept on the shelf for a long time due to the tightness of the lid’s screws and the fact that all bacterial spores were killed within one hour.
- Crafted of the finest hand cast aluminum
- Stay-cool Bakelite top handle
- Geared steam gauge
- Pressure regulator weight with settings of 5, 10 and 15 psi
- Smooth, easy to clean satin finish
- Exclusive metal-to-metal seal – no gaskets to crack, burn, replace or clean
- Double thickness edges for additional protection on points of heaviest wear
- Automatic overpressure release
- Includes canning racks and instructions
- Available in 6 sizes
- Made in the USA since 1930
- It is enormous, with a volume of 21.5 quarts, so you can make tons of food in this cooker.
- It doesn’t have any gasket, so there is no need for constant repairs.
- Will need a lot of strength from you to tightly screw the lid to the pot.
4. Granite Ware Pressure Canner
Granite Ware Pressure Canner/Cooker/Steamer, 20-Quart
The Granite Ware 20-quart Pressure Canner/Cooker/Steamer is a tool of professional quality, constructed of hard-anodized aluminum with stay-cool handles and a stainless-steel lid that locks.
The steamer inserts fit into the stepped portion of the vessel about a third up from the bottom to keep foods out of the cooking liquid. It can accommodate all your large capacity steaming needs, including tamales, seafood, pulled pork, pot roast, and ribs.
In addition to pressure canning, cooking, and steaming, the 20-Quart Granite Ware 0730-2 Pressure Canner/Cooker/Steamer can also be used as a water-bath canner and a steamer. It is stain-resistant and durable due to its anodized aluminum composition.
The Granite Ware pressure canner is shorter than the Presto and All-American pressure canners, giving it a slightly smaller capacity for stacked pint jars. However, it’s a very functional unit, and because it lacks a dial gauge, you never have to worry about having it PSI-tested.
- USDA recommends pressure canning as the only method for canning meats, poultry and low-acid vegetables
- Granite Ware Pressure Canner features heavy gauge hard anodized aluminum for strength and will not rust or stain
- Adjustable 3- piece pressure regulator system calibrated at 5, 10 and 15 psi
- Comes in 2 different sizes
- Great price that will work for almost any budget
- Includes canning rack
- Uses a juggler over-pressure gauge so you can ‘hear’ the pressure
- Appears to still have gaskets
5. T-fal Pressure Canner 22 Quart
T-fal Pressure Cooker, Pressure Canner with Pressure Control, 3 PSI Settings, 22 Quart, Silver – 7114000511
The heavy gauge aluminum construction of the stovetop canner provides rustproof performance for long-lasting use and quick heating. The selective pressure control of the cooker maintains a constant internal pressure, while the vent tube on the lid permits the proper release of steam.
The cooker’s backup steam release components include a reusable overpressure plug (the red pin in the center pushes out, releasing steam) and, if additional steam release is required, a gasket-release window that goes out from the lid opening.
In addition, a spring safety device prevents the cooker from pressurizing before the lid is securely closed, and a sure-locking lid system prevents the lid from being opened while the cooker is under pressure.
One of the most common things I hear is that people fear pressure canners. T-Fal has included many safety features that should satisfy even the most cautious user of a pressure canner. In addition to its vent tube, its five-point security system ensures safe cooking conditions with an overpressure plug. The gasket release window will push out if additional pressure release is required. A gasket locking lid and spring safety device prevent the canner from pressurizing if the lid is not secured correctly.
With all these safety features, you’ll quickly realize that this is one of the most worry-free pressure canners you can purchase. In addition, the heavy aluminum does not stain and can be utilized as a pressure cooker.
- 22 quart polished aluminum stovetop canner and pressure cooker with a deluxe pressure gauge dial
- Selective pressure control with 3 cooking pressure options: 5, 10 or 15 PSI; overpressure steam release safety components
- Heavy gauge, rustproof aluminum construction; sure locking lid system; pressure monitoring device built into handle
- Includes 2 canning racks to hold 16 pint size jars or 26 half pint size jars when double stacked or 7 quart size jars
- Came up to pressure quickly
- Quick to release pressure naturally
- Excellent at pressure-cooking and slow-cooking beef stew
- Manual is clear and thorough
- Easy-to-read controls
- Features timed cooking and setting for browning, steaming and delay start
- Controls aren't intuitive and require experimentation
- Cooking insert isn't dishwasher safe
6. Mirro Pressure Canner Cookware 22-Quart
Mirro – 7114000221 Mirro 92122A Polished Aluminum 5 / 10 / 15-PSI Pressure Cooker / Canner Cookware, 22-Quart, Silver
The Mirro Pressure Cooker allows you to prepare delicious meals up to 70 percent faster than conventional stovetop methods. You can compose short ribs, chili, soups, stews, steamed vegetables, and more in a short amount of time.
Our stylish design and heavy gauge aluminum make for smart kitchen convenience. There are four pressure safety systems in place to prevent over-pressurization. The ergonomic handles with cool touch provide comfortable handling. With the Mirro pressure cooker, you can cook traditional favorites or whatever your imagination desires.
When processing beans in a variety of batches and when preserving soup in jars, the pressure canner performed admirably. My gas stove’s steady regulator jiggle required practice. Setting the pot on a larger burner helped, but at my elevation of 3,000 feet, I still had to adjust the burner heat more frequently than with dial-gauge canners to maintain steady pressure.
It was also challenging to secure the canner’s lid so that it could build pressure. It was simple to overtwist the lid, but steam continued to escape through the pressure indicator and handle rim even with perfect top-to-bottom alignment. Turning until the upper handle was just slightly ahead of the lower handle on both sides caused the pressure indicator to illuminate once the canner began to steam immediately. This may be a quirk of the Mirro canner I tested, not all of them.
Even though Mirro sells this model as a pressure cooker, you should probably avoid using it for this purpose unless you’re feeding many people. The recipes in the enclosed booklet are all sized for small pressure cookers, so you need to triple the quantities to provide 24 to 36 people.
- The pressure canner is constructed from rustproof heavy gauge aluminum; 16 pint size jars or 26 half pint size jars when double stacked or 7 quart size jars
- Maintains steady pressure with 3 cooking pressure options 5, 10, and 15 PSI
- Reusable overpressure plug, sure locking lid system, and side gasket pressure release
- Cooking rack and user guide with recipes included.
- Lightweight when empty
- No need for annual recalibration
- Holds lots of jars
- No fine-tuning at high elevations
- Handles need precise alignment to lock lid
- Only works on gas and electric coil ranges
Factors To Consider When Choosing The Best Best Pressure Canner For Glass Top Stove
If you want to get the most out of your pressure canner, you need to choose the best one for your needs. There are many different models on the market, so how do you know which one is right for you? Here are a few factors to consider when making your decision:
- Capacity: How much food do you want to be able to cook at one time? If you have a large family or entertain often, you’ll need a larger canner. Smaller models are better for those who don’t need to cook as much food.
- Material: Pressure canners are made from either aluminum or stainless steel. Both materials have their benefits and drawbacks. Aluminum is lighter and heats up faster, but it’s also more prone to scratching and denting. Stainless steel is more durable, but it’s also heavier and takes longer to heat up.
- Size: Pressure canners come in a variety of sizes. Choose one that will fit comfortably on your stovetop.
- Pressure release valve: This is an important safety feature. Make sure the canner you choose has a pressure release valve that’s easy to use.
- Warranty: Some manufacturers offer warranties on their products. If you’re not sure which canner to choose, look for one that comes with a warranty.
With so many factors to consider, choosing the best pressure canner for your needs can be tough. But if you keep these factors in mind, you’ll be able to narrow down your choices and find the perfect model for your kitchen.
Pressure Canner For Glass Top Stove – FAQs
A pressure canner is a device that is used to preserve food by using airtight jars or cans. The canner seals in the natural juices and flavors of foods, as well as vitamins and minerals, making them last longer and taste better.
A pressure canner is the best way to preserve food. It is safe and easy to use, and it keeps food fresh and tasting great.
There are many different types of pressure canners available on the market. Choose one that is made of durable materials and is easy to use.
Using a pressure canner is simple. Just follow the instructions that come with your canner.
A pressure canner preserves food better than any other method. It keeps food fresh and tasting great.
Yes, there are some safety concerns with using a pressure canner. Always read the instructions that come with your canner and follow them carefully. Never open the lid of the canner while it is under pressure.
You can preserve almost any type of food with a pressure canner. fruits, vegetables, meats, and even some desserts.
The food you preserve with a pressure canner will last for up to two years.
The steps for preserving food with a pressure canner are simple. Just follow the instructions that come with your canner.
Yes, you can use a pressure canner on a glass top stove. Just follow the instructions that come with your canner.
If you’re looking for a reliable pressure canner that will work well on your glass top stove, we recommend the Presto 01781 23-Quart Pressure Canner and Cooker. This canner is made from durable aluminum and has a non-stick interior coating that makes cleanup a breeze. It also has an instruction manual and recipe book to help you get started.
The T-fal Pressure Canner and Cooker is an excellent option for those on a budget. This canner is made from heavy-duty aluminum and has a pressure regulator for safety. It also comes with an instruction manual and recipe book.
If you’re looking for the best of the best, the All American 921 21-1/2-Quart Pressure Cooker/Canner is the way to go. This canner is made from durable stainless steel and features a gasket release system for safety. It also comes with an instruction manual and recipe book.
No matter which pressure canner you choose, follow the manufacturer’s instructions carefully to ensure safety and proper operation.
Why Trust Us
You will find what you are looking for at Jody's Bakery. From classic to luxury brands, you'll find both. We will help you to select appliances that fit your needs, budget and lifestyle. Whether you want to stop by to learn more — or plan to make a major purchase — we’ll treat you like family and assist you every step of the way. Shop with us today to receive friendly and experienced help along the way.