Making bagels at home can seem daunting, but with the help of a bread machine, the process is simplified and more approachable. A bread machine bagel recipe typically involves using the machine to mix and knead the dough, then shaping and boiling the bagels before baking them in the oven.
The result is a delicious, chewy bagel that can be customized with different toppings and flavors. While the process may take some time and patience, the end result is definitely worth the effort.
Why should you use a bread machine for making bagel?
Using a bread machine to make bagels has several advantages:
- Convenience: Making bagels by hand can be time-consuming and requires a lot of effort. Using a bread machine simplifies the process and saves time, as the machine does most of the work.
- Consistency: A bread machine ensures that the dough is mixed and kneaded evenly, resulting in a consistent texture for the bagels.
- Easy to customize: Bread machines allow you to customize the recipe to your liking, whether you want a plain bagel or one with different toppings or flavors.
- Control: By making your bagels at home, you have complete control over the ingredients, allowing you to make them as healthy or indulgent as you like.
- Cost-effective: Making bagels at home is generally cheaper than buying them from a bakery or store, especially if you plan on making them regularly.
Overall, a bread machine makes the bagel-making process more convenient, consistent, and cost-effective, while allowing for customization and control over the ingredients.
How to make bagel in bread machine
Here’s a basic recipe for making bagels in a bread machine:
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 1/2 cups bread flour
- 2 teaspoons instant yeast
- Add the warm water, salt, and sugar to the bread machine pan.
- Add the bread flour on top of the liquid ingredients, making sure it covers the liquid completely.
- Make a small well in the center of the flour and add the instant yeast.
- Set the bread machine to the dough cycle and start it.
- After the dough cycle is complete, remove the dough from the bread machine and let it rest for 10-15 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 8-10 equal portions and shape each into a ball.
- Using your finger, poke a hole through the center of each ball and shape it into a bagel.
- Let the bagels rest for 10-15 minutes.
- In the meantime, bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Once the water is boiling, add the bagels to the pot (2-3 at a time) and boil for 1-2 minutes on each side.
- Remove the bagels from the water and place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake the bagels in a preheated oven at 425°F (218°C) for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Allow the bagels to cool for a few minutes before serving.
You can customize the bagels by adding different toppings or flavors, such as sesame seeds, poppy seeds, cinnamon and raisins, or garlic and onion. Enjoy!
Tips for making bagel in bread machine
Here are some tips to help you make perfect bagels in a bread machine:
- Use high-gluten flour: Bagels require a high-protein flour to achieve their chewy texture. Look for bread flour or high-gluten flour when selecting your ingredients.
- Measure ingredients carefully: Accurately measuring your ingredients is crucial for successful bagel making. Use a kitchen scale for precise measurements, especially for the flour.
- Don’t over-knead the dough: Over-kneading the dough can result in tough bagels. Follow the dough cycle on your bread machine and avoid additional kneading.
- Let the dough rest: After the dough cycle is complete, let the dough rest for 10-15 minutes before shaping the bagels. This will allow the gluten to relax and make it easier to work with.
- Use boiling water: Boiling the bagels in water before baking them gives them their distinctive texture. Make sure the water is at a rolling boil before adding the bagels.
- Add toppings before baking: If you’re adding toppings like sesame seeds or poppy seeds, sprinkle them on top of the bagels before baking. This will ensure they stick to the dough.
- Allow for proper cooling: Once the bagels are baked, allow them to cool for a few minutes before slicing them. This will prevent them from becoming too dense.
With these tips, you should be able to make delicious bagels in your bread machine. Happy baking!
- All Post
- Air Fryer
- Baby Food Maker
- Best Lists
- Bread Maker Machine
- Bread Slicer
- Cake pop maker
- Cooking Tips
- Electric Mixer
- food dehydrator
- Food Processor
- Food Slicer
- Food Steamer
- Grain Mill Grinder
- Instant Pot
- Kitchen Gadget
- Meat Slicer
- Microwave Oven
- Pasta Maker
- Slow Cooker
- Toaster Oven
- Waffle maker
Bread Machine Seeded Whole Grain Loaf is a delicious and healthy bread that is packed with wholesome ingredients and seeds.…
If you’re looking for a delicious way to make rolls at home, consider using a bread machine. Making rolls in…
If you want to make white bread in a bread machine, there are a few things you need to know.…
Why Trust Us
You will find what you are looking for at Jody's Bakery. From classic to luxury brands, you'll find both. We will help you to select appliances that fit your needs, budget and lifestyle. Whether you want to stop by to learn more — or plan to make a major purchase — we’ll treat you like family and assist you every step of the way. Shop with us today to receive friendly and experienced help along the way.