Making scones in a food processor is a quick and easy way to achieve a light and flaky texture, without having to spend too much time kneading the dough by hand. Scones are a popular pastry that originated in Scotland, and they are typically served for breakfast or afternoon tea.
The dough for scones is made from a few basic ingredients such as flour, butter, sugar, and milk or cream. By using a food processor, you can quickly cut the butter into the flour and create a crumbly texture that is perfect for scones. This method also helps to keep the dough cold, which is important for achieving a tender and flaky texture.
Which kinds of scones can you make in food processor?
A food processor can be used to make a variety of scones, including sweet and savory options. Here are some examples:
- Plain scones: These are classic scones that are not flavored with any additional ingredients. They are typically served with jam and clotted cream.
- Fruit scones: These scones are made with dried or fresh fruit such as raisins, currants, or blueberries. They are often served with butter and jam.
- Cheese scones: These scones are made with grated cheese such as cheddar or parmesan, and are often served as a savory option with soup or a salad.
- Herb scones: These scones are made with fresh herbs such as rosemary or thyme, and are also a great savory option.
- Chocolate chip scones: These scones are made with chocolate chips or chunks, and are a popular sweet option for breakfast or brunch.
Overall, the possibilities are endless when it comes to making scones in a food processor. You can experiment with different flavor combinations and ingredients to create your own unique scone recipes.
Why should you use food processor for making scones?
There are several reasons why using a food processor can be beneficial for making scones:
- Quick and efficient: Using a food processor to make scone dough is much faster than doing it by hand. The food processor quickly and evenly cuts the butter into the flour mixture, which helps to create a light and flaky texture.
- Consistency: Using a food processor ensures that the scone dough has a consistent texture. This is important for achieving even baking and a uniform final product.
- Cold ingredients: One of the keys to making great scones is keeping the ingredients cold. The food processor helps to keep the butter and other ingredients at the ideal temperature, which is essential for creating a tender and flaky texture.
- Less handling: Overworking the dough can result in tough, dry scones. By using a food processor, you can minimize the amount of handling needed to mix the ingredients, which helps to prevent overworking the dough.
Overall, using a food processor can help to simplify the process of making scones, while also helping to achieve a delicious and consistent end result.
How to make scones in food processor
Here is a basic recipe for making scones in a food processor:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled and cubed
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C).
- In a food processor, add the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Pulse a few times to combine.
- Add the cubed butter to the food processor and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse sand.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk and egg.
- Pour the milk and egg mixture into the food processor and pulse until the dough just starts to come together.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead gently until it comes together into a ball.
- Pat the dough into a circle that is about 1 inch thick.
- Cut the dough into wedges or rounds using a sharp knife or a biscuit cutter.
- Place the scones on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until the scones are golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and transfer the scones to a wire rack to cool for a few minutes before serving.
You can customize this recipe by adding your own flavorings such as dried fruit, chocolate chips, or herbs. The possibilities are endless!
How long does it take to make scones in food processor?
Making scones in a food processor can be very quick and efficient. It usually takes about 5-10 minutes to prepare the ingredients and mix the dough in the food processor. After that, you will need to knead the dough briefly and shape it into scones, which should take an additional 5-10 minutes.
The baking time will depend on the size and thickness of your scones, but typically it takes about 12-15 minutes to bake a batch of scones in the oven. Overall, you can expect to have freshly baked scones in about 30 minutes or less, from start to finish.
Tips for making scones in food processor
Here are some tips for making scones in a food processor:
- Keep the ingredients cold: One of the most important things when making scones is to keep the ingredients cold, especially the butter. Make sure to use chilled butter and milk straight from the fridge, and work quickly to keep everything cold while mixing the dough.
- Don’t overmix the dough: Overmixing the dough can lead to tough and dense scones. Pulse the ingredients in the food processor just until the dough starts to come together, and then turn it out onto a lightly floured surface and knead it gently just until it forms a cohesive ball.
- Use a light touch: When handling the dough, use a light touch to avoid overworking it. The more you handle the dough, the tougher the scones will be.
- Don’t skip the resting time: After you shape the scone dough, let it rest in the fridge for at least 15 minutes before baking. This helps to relax the gluten in the dough and allows the butter to re-solidify, which helps create a flaky texture.
- Brush with egg wash: For a shiny and golden brown finish, brush the scones with a mixture of beaten egg and milk before baking.
- Experiment with flavors: Scones can be flavored with a variety of add-ins such as dried fruit, nuts, chocolate chips, or herbs. Try different flavor combinations to find your favorite.
By following these tips, you can make delicious and tender scones every time using your food processor.
- All Post
- Air Fryer
- Baby Food Maker
- Best Lists
- Bread Maker Machine
- Bread Slicer
- Cooking Tips
- Electric Mixer
- Food Processor
- Food Slicer
- Food Steamer
- Grain Mill Grinder
- Instant Pot
- Kitchen Gadget
- Meat Slicer
- Microwave Oven
- Slow Cooker
Banana ice cream made in a food processor is a delicious and healthy alternative to traditional ice cream. Unlike regular…
Almond butter is a delicious and nutritious spread made from roasted almonds that have been ground into a creamy paste.…
Pico de gallo is a fresh and vibrant Mexican salsa made with chopped tomatoes, onions, cilantro, jalapeño peppers, lime juice,…
Why Trust Us
You will find what you are looking for at Jody's Bakery. From classic to luxury brands, you'll find both. We will help you to select appliances that fit your needs, budget and lifestyle. Whether you want to stop by to learn more — or plan to make a major purchase — we’ll treat you like family and assist you every step of the way. Shop with us today to receive friendly and experienced help along the way.