Pressure canning pozole verde is a great way to preserve this traditional Mexican soup so that you can enjoy it anytime, even when fresh ingredients are not in season.
Pozole verde is a soup made with hominy, chicken or pork, and a green sauce made with tomatillos, green chilies, and cilantro. Pressure canning allows you to safely preserve the soup for long-term storage without losing its flavor and nutritional value.
Why should you use pressure canner for Pressure Canning Pozole Verde?
Pressure canning is recommended for preserving low-acid foods like pozole verde because it destroys the spores of harmful bacteria, such as Clostridium botulinum, that can cause food poisoning.
These bacteria can survive and multiply in the absence of oxygen, moisture, and an acidic environment, which is why it is important to process low-acid foods like meats, soups, and stews in a pressure canner at a high temperature and pressure.
By using a pressure canner to preserve pozole verde, you can safely store it for up to one year without the risk of foodborne illness.
How to make Pressure Canning Pozole Verde in pressure canner
Here is a recipe for making pressure canned pozole verde in a pressure canner:
- 2 pounds boneless pork shoulder or chicken breast, cubed
- 4 cups canned hominy, drained and rinsed
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound tomatillos, husked and chopped
- 2 poblano peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups water
- Lime wedges and additional cilantro for serving
- In a large pot, brown the cubed pork or chicken over medium-high heat until browned on all sides, then remove from pot and set aside.
- In the same pot, sauté the diced onion and minced garlic until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the chopped tomatillos, poblano peppers, jalapeño pepper, chopped cilantro, ground cumin, dried oregano, salt, and water to the pot and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- After 1 hour, add the drained and rinsed hominy and the cubed pork or chicken to the pot and continue to simmer for an additional 30 minutes, or until the meat is cooked through and tender.
- While the soup is cooking, prepare your jars and lids for canning by washing them in hot soapy water and sterilizing them in boiling water.
- Once the soup is cooked, use a ladle to fill the jars with the hot pozole verde, leaving 1 inch of headspace at the top of the jar.
- Use a bubble remover tool to remove any air bubbles from the jars and wipe the rim of the jar clean with a damp cloth.
- Place the lids on top of the jars and screw on the bands until they are finger-tight.
- Place the jars in a pressure canner, following the manufacturer’s instructions for processing times and pressure levels based on your altitude and the size of the jars.
- After processing, remove the jars from the canner and allow them to cool to room temperature.
- Check the seals of the jars by pressing down on the center of the lid. If it pops back up, the jar did not seal and should be refrigerated and eaten within a few days. If it remains depressed, the jar is properly sealed and can be stored in a cool, dry place for up to one year.
- When ready to serve, heat the pozole verde on the stovetop or in the microwave, and top with additional cilantro and lime wedges if desired.
Note: Be sure to follow proper canning techniques and use a tested recipe to ensure the safety and quality of your canned pozole verde.
Tips for making Pressure Canning Pozole Verde in pressure canner.
Here are some tips for making pressure canned pozole verde:
- Use fresh ingredients: Use fresh ingredients whenever possible to ensure the best flavor and texture in your pozole verde. This includes fresh tomatillos, peppers, and cilantro.
- Use a pressure canner: A pressure canner is essential for safely canning low-acid foods like pozole verde. Be sure to follow the manufacturer’s instructions for processing times and pressure levels based on your altitude and the size of the jars.
- Use proper canning techniques: Follow proper canning techniques to ensure the safety and quality of your canned pozole verde. This includes sterilizing your jars and lids, leaving the appropriate amount of headspace, removing air bubbles, and wiping the rims clean before sealing.
- Adjust seasonings to taste: The recipe provided is a guideline, but feel free to adjust the seasonings to suit your taste preferences. Add more or less cilantro, peppers, or spices as desired.
- Use boneless meat: Boneless pork shoulder or chicken breast are best for this recipe as they cook more quickly and evenly. Be sure to cube the meat into small, bite-sized pieces before cooking.
- Rinse hominy: Be sure to drain and rinse the canned hominy before adding it to the pozole verde to remove any excess salt or debris.
- Store properly: Once processed and sealed, store your jars of pozole verde in a cool, dry place for up to one year. Be sure to label your jars with the date and contents for easy identification.
- All Post
- Air Fryer
- Baby Food Maker
- Best Lists
- Bread Maker Machine
- Bread Slicer
- Cooking Tips
- Electric Mixer
- Food Processor
- Food Slicer
- Food Steamer
- Grain Mill Grinder
- Instant Pot
- Kitchen Gadget
- Meat Slicer
- Microwave Oven
- Slow Cooker
Pressure canned celery soup is a delicious and convenient way to preserve celery and other vegetables for later use. Celery…
Pressure canning is a great way to preserve homemade soup for later use. By using a pressure canner, you can…
Soup is one of those foods that can serve as a satisfying lunch, a filling snack, or a light dinner…
Why Trust Us
You will find what you are looking for at Jody's Bakery. From classic to luxury brands, you'll find both. We will help you to select appliances that fit your needs, budget and lifestyle. Whether you want to stop by to learn more — or plan to make a major purchase — we’ll treat you like family and assist you every step of the way. Shop with us today to receive friendly and experienced help along the way.