Pressure canning zucchini relish is a great way to preserve the summer harvest for year-round use. Zucchini relish is a delicious condiment that can be used on burgers, sandwiches, hot dogs, and more. Pressure canning allows the relish to be stored safely at room temperature without the need for refrigeration. This makes it a convenient and practical option for those who want to enjoy the taste of zucchini relish throughout the year.
Why should you use a pressure canner for Pressure Canning Zucchini Relish?
Pressure canning is necessary for preserving zucchini relish safely. Zucchini relish is a low-acid food, which means it can harbor harmful bacteria that can cause foodborne illness.
When canned using a boiling water bath method, it may not reach the temperature required to kill these bacteria. On the other hand, pressure canning uses high temperatures and pressure to kill all the harmful bacteria and spores, making it a safe method for canning low-acid foods like zucchini relish. This is why it’s important to use a pressure canner for pressure canning zucchini relish.
How to make Pressure Canning Zucchini Relish in a pressure canner
Pressure canning zucchini relish is a great way to preserve this tasty condiment for later use. Here are the steps to follow:
- 10 cups zucchini, grated
- 4 cups onions, chopped
- 4 red bell peppers, chopped
- 5 tablespoons canning salt
- 3 cups apple cider vinegar
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon mustard seed
- 1 tablespoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Pressure canner
- Canning jars with lids and bands
- Canning funnel
- Jar lifter
- Bubble remover/headspace tool
- Wash and sanitize canning jars, lids, and bands according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine grated zucchini, chopped onions, and red bell peppers. Sprinkle canning salt over the vegetables and stir well to combine. Cover the bowl with a clean cloth and let it sit for 2 hours.
- Drain the liquid from the vegetable mixture and rinse well with cold water. Drain again and set aside.
- In a large pot, combine apple cider vinegar, granulated sugar, mustard seed, celery seed, turmeric, and black pepper. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Add the drained vegetable mixture to the pot and stir well. Bring the mixture back to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer the relish for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the pot from the heat and let the relish cool for a few minutes.
- Fill each canning jar with the relish, leaving 1/2 inch of headspace. Use the bubble remover/headspace tool to remove any air bubbles and adjust the headspace if necessary.
- Wipe the rims of the jars with a clean damp cloth, place the lids on top, and screw the bands on finger-tight.
- Place the jars in the pressure canner according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Process the jars at 10 pounds of pressure for 15 minutes (adjust for altitude if necessary).
- After the processing time is complete, turn off the heat and let the pressure canner cool down naturally. Do not try to open the pressure canner until the pressure has returned to zero.
- Using the jar lifter, remove the jars from the canner and let them cool on a wire rack for 12-24 hours.
- After the jars have cooled, check the seals by pressing down on the center of each lid. If the lid does not move, the jar is sealed properly. Store the sealed jars in a cool, dark place for up to one year.
Enjoy your delicious zucchini relish on hot dogs, sandwiches, or as a condiment with your favorite dishes!
Tips for making Pressure Canning Zucchini Relish in a pressure canner
Here are some tips to keep in mind when making pressure canned zucchini relish:
- Use fresh, high-quality ingredients for the best flavor and texture. Look for zucchini that is firm and free of bruises or blemishes.
- Grate the zucchini and chop the onions and bell peppers into small, uniform pieces for even cooking and canning.
- Be sure to follow the recipe and canning instructions carefully to ensure safe and effective preservation.
- Use a pressure canner that is in good condition and has been tested for accuracy. Check the gauge or dial for accuracy and make sure the safety valves are functioning properly.
- Choose appropriate canning jars and lids that are designed for pressure canning. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for preparing and sterilizing the jars.
- Leave the recommended amount of headspace in each jar to allow for expansion during processing.
- Use a bubble remover or headspace tool to remove air bubbles and ensure that the relish is evenly distributed in each jar.
- Adjust the processing time and pressure according to your altitude for safe canning.
- Allow the jars to cool and seal completely before storing in a cool, dark place.
By following these tips, you can create delicious and safely preserved zucchini relish to enjoy throughout the year.
- All Post
- Air Fryer
- Baby Food Maker
- Best Lists
- Bread Maker Machine
- Bread Slicer
- Cooking Tips
- Electric Mixer
- Food Processor
- Food Slicer
- Food Steamer
- Grain Mill Grinder
- Instant Pot
- Kitchen Gadget
- Meat Slicer
- Microwave Oven
- Slow Cooker
Pressure canning butternut squash-white bean soup is a great way to preserve the flavors of this delicious and nutritious soup…
Pressure canning is a method of preserving food by processing it in airtight containers under high pressure, which kills any…
Pressure Cooker Five-Bean Chili is a hearty and healthy dish that’s perfect for a cold winter day. This recipe is…
Why Trust Us
You will find what you are looking for at Jody's Bakery. From classic to luxury brands, you'll find both. We will help you to select appliances that fit your needs, budget and lifestyle. Whether you want to stop by to learn more — or plan to make a major purchase — we’ll treat you like family and assist you every step of the way. Shop with us today to receive friendly and experienced help along the way.