Serving Size : 1
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 3 pounds roast, trimmed — trim off any fat
- 3 tablespoons flour Mix flour
- in 3 tablespoon water, to a paste.
- This roast needs no prior browning. Meat brown in the slow cooker and forms a brown gravy.
- Prepare vegetables separately. Sprinkle onion soup over the bottom of the slow cooker. Add pot roast.
- Cover and cook on LOW about 8 1/2 hrs. Or 5 hrs. On HIGH. Pour accumulated juices into a saucepan; skim off fat.
- Add flour-water paste and bring to the boil, stirring constantly until thickened. Serve over sliced meat.
Quick Onion Pot Roast - FAQs
Chuck roast should be cooked to an internal temperature of 190-195 degrees F to be fall apart tender. The high internal temperature allows collagen to break down, making the meat melt in your mouth tender.
Undercooked pot roast will be tough and chewy. Test your roast with a fork before you remove it from the pot. If it is done, the fork will go in easily and you’ll be able to twist off a forkful of meat. It if is still firm, return the roast to the pot and continue cooking for another hour.
Pot roast is meant to be braised, which means cooking meat slowly over low heat with minimal liquid, covered. If you add too much water/broth, you are going to miss out on that roasty flavor that comes from the top part of the meat cooking above the liquid.
To ensure that both the meat and the vegetables will be cooked perfectly, it’s usually best to cook the meat until it is almost done before adding most vegetables.
A surefire way to make a tender, juicy pot roast is through braising; that is, cooking the meat in a small amount of liquid in a tightly covered pot at low temperature.
During the last 45 minutes of cooking, turn the slow cooker temperature to High and add carrots and potatoes submerging them in the cooking liquid as much as possible. Continue to cook until vegetables are tender, about 30-40 minutes. Serve.
Why Trust Us
You will find what you are looking for at Jody's Bakery. From classic to luxury brands, you'll find both. We will help you to select appliances that fit your needs, budget and lifestyle. Whether you want to stop by to learn more — or plan to make a major purchase — we’ll treat you like family and assist you every step of the way. Shop with us today to receive friendly and experienced help along the way.