Recipe By :Family Circle–301 Casseroles / pg. 34
Serving Size : 8
- 1 chuck roast (about 3-lbs.) — cut 1 1/2″ thick
- 1 envelope mushroom soup mix (2 to a pkg.)
- 1 tablespoon minced dried onion
- 1 cup dry red wine or water
- Trim excess fat from roast; combine dry soup mix and onion on a sheet of aluminum foil or wax paper.
- Roll roast in mixture to coat well.
- Place coated roast in an electric slow cooker; pour wine or water over; cover.
- Cook on low (190F to 200F) 8 hours, turning after 4 hours, if possible, or on high (290F to 300F) 4 hours, turning after 2 hours, if possible, or until meat is tender.
- Serve with mashed potatoes and buttered green beans, if you wish.
Slow Cooker Steak and Mushrooms
Slow cookers are specially designed to cook food for long periods of time, but yes, you can still overcook in a slow cooker if something is left on the wrong setting for longer than it’s supposed to be.
Water or liquid is necessary to create steam. When cooking meat or poultry, the water or liquid level should cover the ingredients to ensure effective heat transfer throughout the crock. Some manufacturers of slow cookers recommend adding liquid to fill the stoneware 1/2 to 3/4 full.
“Browning, or caramelizing, meat before putting it into a slow cooker isn’t 100 percent necessary, but it is well worth the effort for the most flavorful and full-bodied end result,” he says. “The caramelized surface of the meat will lend rich flavor and color to the finished dish.”1
Yes! Slow cooking steak is a wonderful way to make savory and tender fillets each time. Slow cooking steak for hours on end allows for the flavors to fully saturate the meat, resulting in a truly mouth-watering, delectable dish.
The general rule of thumb is that two to four hours is the maximum length of time you can leave food in a slow cooker on warm. After this, it needs to be transferred into the refrigerator.
Yes, you can add raw steak to a slow cooker to cook it to your desired doneness level. Slow cooking steak is a convenient way to cook steak over several hours, tenderizing it and adding exceptional flavor along the way.
- All Post
- Air Fryer
- Baby Food Maker
- Best Lists
- Bread Maker Machine
- Bread Slicer
- Cooking Tips
- Electric Mixer
- Food Processor
- Food Slicer
- Food Steamer
- Instant Pot
- Kitchen Gadget
- Meat Slicer
- Microwave Oven
- Slow Cooker
Why Trust Us
You will find what you are looking for at Jody's Bakery. From classic to luxury brands, you'll find both. We will help you to select appliances that fit your needs, budget and lifestyle. Whether you want to stop by to learn more — or plan to make a major purchase — we’ll treat you like family and assist you every step of the way. Shop with us today to receive friendly and experienced help along the way.