Szechuan steamed vegetables is a flavorful and healthy dish that is cooked using a food steamer. This dish is a great way to incorporate more vegetables into your diet and is perfect for vegans and vegetarians.
Szechuan steamed vegetables are typically made with a variety of vegetables such as broccoli, carrots, snow peas, and baby corn, which are steamed until tender and then tossed in a spicy Szechuan sauce. This dish is easy to prepare and can be served as a side dish or as a main course with rice.
Why should you use a food steamer for Szechuan steamed vegetables?
Using a food steamer is an excellent way to cook Szechuan steamed vegetables because it allows the vegetables to retain their nutrients and flavor while cooking.
Steaming the vegetables in a food steamer also ensures that they are cooked evenly and don’t become mushy or overcooked. Additionally, using a food steamer is a healthy cooking method as it doesn’t require any added fats or oils, making it an ideal way to prepare nutritious and low-fat meals.
Overall, using a food steamer is the perfect way to cook Szechuan steamed vegetables and is a healthy and easy way to incorporate more vegetables into your diet.
How to make Szechuan steamed vegetables in a food steamer
Here is a simple recipe for making Szechuan steamed vegetables in a food steamer:
- 1 head of broccoli, chopped into florets
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup of snow peas
- 1 can of baby corn
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon of Szechuan peppercorns
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon of soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon of rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon of cornstarch
- 1/4 cup of water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Wash and prepare the vegetables by chopping the broccoli into florets, peeling and slicing the carrots, and trimming the ends of the snow peas.
- In a small pan, heat the vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Add the Szechuan peppercorns and garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the soy sauce, rice vinegar, brown sugar, cornstarch, and water to make the Szechuan sauce.
- Arrange the prepared vegetables in a single layer in a food steamer basket.
- Drizzle the Szechuan sauce over the vegetables, making sure they are evenly coated.
- Steam the vegetables in the food steamer for 8-10 minutes, or until they are tender but still slightly crisp.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve hot and enjoy your delicious and healthy Szechuan steamed vegetables.
Note: You can adjust the spiciness of the dish by adding more or less Szechuan peppercorns to the sauce. Additionally, you can add other vegetables such as bok choy, bell peppers, or mushrooms to the mix for extra variety.
Tips for making Szechuan steamed vegetables in a food steamer
Here are some tips to keep in mind when making Szechuan steamed vegetables in a food steamer:
- Use fresh vegetables: Fresh vegetables will taste better and have a better texture than frozen or canned vegetables. Choose vegetables that are in season for the best flavor.
- Cut vegetables into similar sizes: Cutting the vegetables into similar sizes ensures that they cook evenly and at the same rate.
- Don’t overcrowd the steamer: Overcrowding the steamer can result in uneven cooking and soggy vegetables. Make sure to arrange the vegetables in a single layer and leave some space between them.
- Add seasoning before steaming: Adding seasoning or sauce to the vegetables before steaming ensures that the flavors infuse into the vegetables during the cooking process.
- Use a flavorful sauce: The sauce is what gives the dish its distinct flavor, so make sure to use a sauce that is full of flavor. Adjust the level of spiciness to your liking by adding more or less Szechuan peppercorns.
- Steam the vegetables until they are tender: Cooking time will vary depending on the type of vegetable and the size of the pieces. Check the vegetables regularly while steaming to ensure they are cooked to your desired level of tenderness.
- Serve immediately: Steamed vegetables are best when served immediately after cooking. If you need to keep them warm, cover them with foil until ready to serve.
- Experiment with different vegetables: Don’t be afraid to experiment with different vegetables to find your favorite combination. This recipe can be adapted to include any vegetables you like.
- All Post
- Food Steamer
Bamboo steamer is a traditional cooking tool used in Asian cuisine for steaming food, such as dumplings, vegetables, and meats.…
Steaming dumplings in a bamboo steamer is a traditional Chinese cooking method that has been used for centuries. The bamboo…
A dim sum bamboo steamer is a traditional kitchen tool used to steam a variety of Chinese dim sum dishes,…
End of Content.
Why Trust Us
You will find what you are looking for at Jody's Bakery. From classic to luxury brands, you'll find both. We will help you to select appliances that fit your needs, budget and lifestyle. Whether you want to stop by to learn more — or plan to make a major purchase — we’ll treat you like family and assist you every step of the way. Shop with us today to receive friendly and experienced help along the way.