Bunny buns are a type of steamed bun that is shaped like a cute bunny rabbit. These fluffy and slightly sweet buns are a popular snack in many parts of Asia and are often served as a special treat during Easter. They are typically made from a dough that is leavened with yeast and then shaped and steamed until fluffy and tender. Bunny buns are a fun and delicious snack that can be enjoyed by both kids and adults alike.
Why should you use a food steamer for Bunny Buns?
Using a food steamer to make bunny buns ensures that they come out fluffy and tender. Steaming is a gentle cooking method that retains the moisture and flavor of the dough, resulting in buns that are soft and airy.
Steaming also ensures that the buns cook evenly without browning, which is important for achieving the signature white color of bunny buns.
Additionally, using a food steamer is an easy and efficient way to cook a large batch of bunny buns at once, making it a great option for serving a crowd or for meal prep.
How to make Bunny Buns in a food steamer
Here is a recipe for making Bunny Buns in a food steamer:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup warm milk
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1 egg, beaten
- raisins or chocolate chips for eyes
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, yeast, and salt. Mix well.
- In another bowl, combine the warm milk, melted butter, and beaten egg. Stir to combine.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until the dough comes together.
- Knead the dough on a floured surface for about 5 minutes until smooth and elastic.
- Place the dough back into the mixing bowl and cover with a damp cloth. Let the dough rise in a warm place for about 1 hour until it has doubled in size.
- Once the dough has risen, punch it down and knead for another 2-3 minutes.
- Cut the dough into 12 equal pieces and shape each piece into a ball.
- Take one of the balls of dough and divide it into three pieces. Roll each piece into a long rope and braid them together.
- Take the braided dough and shape it into a circle with two long pieces sticking up to form the bunny ears.
- Repeat with the remaining balls of dough.
- Place the bunny buns onto a piece of parchment paper and cover with a damp cloth. Let them rise for another 10-15 minutes.
- Place the bunny buns into a steamer basket and steam for 10-12 minutes until they are fluffy and cooked through.
- Remove from the steamer and let cool slightly before adding raisins or chocolate chips for the bunny eyes.
- Serve warm and enjoy your delicious Bunny Buns!
Tips for making Bunny Buns in a food steamer
Here are some tips to help you make the perfect Bunny Buns in a food steamer:
- Make sure your yeast is fresh and active. If your dough doesn’t rise properly, it may be due to expired or inactive yeast.
- Knead the dough well. Proper kneading is important to activate the gluten in the flour and give your buns a good texture.
- Let the dough rise in a warm, draft-free place. The ideal temperature for dough to rise is around 80-85°F. If it’s too cold, the dough won’t rise properly.
- Don’t over-handle the dough. This can cause the buns to become tough or chewy.
- When shaping the buns, make sure they are evenly sized and shaped. This will ensure they cook evenly in the steamer.
- Cover the buns with a damp cloth while they are rising to prevent them from drying out.
- Don’t overcrowd the steamer basket. Leave some space between the buns to allow for even cooking.
- Make sure the water in the steamer is boiling before adding the buns. This will help them cook evenly and prevent sticking.
- Check the buns frequently while they are cooking to ensure they don’t overcook or become too dry.
- Let the buns cool slightly before adding the raisins or chocolate chips for the bunny eyes. This will prevent the heat from melting the decorations.
- All Post
- Air Fryer
- Baby Food Maker
- Best Lists
- Bread Maker Machine
- Bread Slicer
- Cooking Tips
- Electric Mixer
- Food Processor
- Food Slicer
- Food Steamer
- Grain Mill Grinder
- Instant Pot
- Kitchen Gadget
- Meat Slicer
- Microwave Oven
- Slow Cooker
Food steamer pork buns, also known as “baozi” or “steamed buns”, are a type of Chinese dim sum that has…
Steaming chicken bao in a food steamer is a popular way to cook this delicious Chinese dish. Chicken bao, also…
Shanghai dumplings, also known as xiaolongbao, are a type of Chinese dumpling that originated in the Jiangnan region of China,…
Why Trust Us
You will find what you are looking for at Jody's Bakery. From classic to luxury brands, you'll find both. We will help you to select appliances that fit your needs, budget and lifestyle. Whether you want to stop by to learn more — or plan to make a major purchase — we’ll treat you like family and assist you every step of the way. Shop with us today to receive friendly and experienced help along the way.