Air fryers have become familiar with many people because they allow you to enjoy your favorite crispy fried foods with less fat and fewer calories. You can process a variety of foods in one, including French fries, steak, pork, cakes…. This is a handy device for families with kids to prepare your child’s favorite meals more quickly and healthily than the traditional method.
However, not everyone knows how to clean and preserve it properly. That’s why we’re sharing some tips to clean an air fryer before first use and after using it. Good knowledge of this will ensure that you do not use the wrong materials that could damage its internal components.
The Best Way to Clean Your Air Fryer
Tips for Cleaning Your Air Fryer
Before preparing to deeply clean your air fryer, please take some minutes to read the instruction manual of a product as well as learn the do’s and don’ts of air fryer maintenance:
- Do not use sharp objects to clean the machine like metal utensils, steel brushes…to pick food particles and residues from your air fryer. This could damage the non-stick coating on your air fryer as well as could affect its operation. Similarly, do not use abrasive sponges cleaning materials on the machine.
- Do not soak your air fryer in water. The primary unit is an electrical device, so this will damage it.
- If you notice a bad smell from the air fryer, you can put half a lemon in the basket and let it sit for about 30 minutes before cleaning.
How to clean an air fryer before first use
When you unpack them from the box, you might be feeling the unpleasant smell of plastic either around the kitchen or in the food. Since no one really enjoys plastic-smelling food. Well, we are here to help explain why new air fryers can sometimes have a plastic smell and how to get rid of air fryer plastic smell quickly and easily.
Why do new air fryers have a plastic smell?
The major reason is that the air fryer comes with a protective coating out of the box. When this coating is exposed to high temperatures, it starts to burn and produces that plastic smell. It is exactly a burning plastic smell like the smell of new televisions, computers…. once it is unpacked from the box.
Air fryers will smell within the first few uses and give off a plastic smell. This should, and in most will go away after you’ve used the air fryer a couple of times.
How does one get rid of air fryer plastic odor?
- Remove All the Packaging Materials
The first thing to do is remove all the plastic coatings your new air fryer comes with. This will probably get rid of all the odors. If this doesn’t happen then it might take a few runs and the problem should be resolved. Many parts of the air fryer are washable such as the pan, grill, and basket.
- Clean the Basket and Pan with Soap and Water
Put these parts in a sink or a tub full of warm water and soap or detergent for around 15 minutes. Gently wash these parts with a soft sponge and use that same sponge to clean the inside of the air fryer.
- Dry the Air Fryer
Dry it completely and then you’re ready to use your air fryer. This method can also be used when your air fryer occurs smells bad after using it many times.
In some cases, the bad odor will linger on for much longer than that. One of the best ways to remove this smell quickly is deep cleaning your air fryer or running the air fryer with some tips below:
- Mix some vinegar and lemon juice to make a paste
- Place this mixture inside the fryer and start the air fryer
- Run the air fryer for about 2 minutes.
The tips above will remove these smells without causing damage to the machine.
How to deep clean an air fryer after using.
Cleaning and preserving are the most important factors to decide the durability of an appliance. The best time to clean an air fryer is immediately after use, which will ensure that food particles do not stick to the sides and become hard to remove. However, do not rush and let the machine cool down about 30 minutes before cleaning.
Air fryers usually come with an instruction manual; hence, you can also refer to this manual to see how best you can care for your new device to extend the useful lifespan saving you money in the long term.
To clean the air fryer quickly and efficiently. Here’s what you’ll need to prepare:
- A damp cloth or a non-abrasive sponge
- Dish soap
- Baking Soda
- Soft-bristle scrub brush
1 . Clean the frying basket
The bottom frying basket is where lots of grease and gunk falls, so cleaning it properly to prevent grease build-up and bacteria growth that could foul the foods and make you sick. You can proceed to clean the basket according to the following instructions:
- Make sure that the device is unplugged from the power source and wait until it’s cool to start cleaning. You can remove the air fryer basket and either set it in the sink or on the counter. This will help it cool down even faster.
- Use a damp cloth to wipe down the exterior. Wipe away the soap with a clean damp cloth. And repeat this step for the interior.
- Remove the basket and tray from the main unit, then use a bit of dish soap with warm water to wash them with a soft sponge or cloth—no abrasives.
- If food is stuck on these components, you should soak them in hot soapy water for at least 10 minutes before scrubbing with a non-abrasive sponge.
- Don’t forget to dry it completely before you put it back in the air fryer!
It’s a good idea to clean the frying basket after each use to ensure to remove all old foods and grease causes to smell and effects to the taste of food.
2. Clean the Crumb Basket
- Take the crumb basket out and throw away any loose pieces of food leftover in it. Wipe it out with a damp cloth.
- Make sure you clean all the crevices and both the outside and inside of the basket. It might help to use a dish brush or toothbrush to clean all the slats.
- Dry it completely. Make sure it completely dry before replacing them in the air fryer.
- In most air fryers, the bottom frying basket and the crumb basket are dishwasher safe. However, please check if the manufacturer has stated in the instruction manual that the machine is dishwasher-safe.
- The crumb basket has a non-stick coating on it, so please don’t use abrasive brushes (like steel wool) on it or any abrasive cleaners that might erode this coating. This is why we do not recommend using a dishwasher. They operate at high heat which erodes the surface of the nonstick cookware. It can lead to flaking which can be toxic.
- We are also against using any strong detergents or things that aren’t designed to clean. Often, these can have the opposite effect and actually cause damage instead of cleaning.
Air Fryer Cleaning Methods
There are some other ways that you can use to clean your air fryer. Please refer to the following cleaning methods below
Regardless of which one you choose to use, please keep in mind that don’t use any abrasive cleaners like steel wool or firm brushes that might damage the non-stick surface.
1 . Cleaning your air fryer with vinegar and water
- Vinegar is a very safe cleaning solution that you can use throughout the kitchen, including inside an air fryer. The most reliable cleaning solution is 3 parts water and 1 part vinegar. So if you use 1 cup of water, just add 1/3 cup of vinegar.
- Put this mixture in a spray bottle and spray it over the areas of the air fryer that you want to clean.
2. Cleaning your air fryer with baking soda and warm water
- With some stubborn messes, you should make a thick paste with baking soda water
- Then, spread the mixture over any sticky areas on the basket and let it soak. It will be removed pretty easily.
- Finally, using a soft-bristle scrub brush and wipe away with a clean cloth.
3. Cleaning your air fryer with dish soap
Another reliable cleaning solution is just good dish soap. You only need a few drops of concentrated dish soap on a sponge. Then, soak the sponge in water and use it to wipe down your air fryer baskets. The soap will help cut through the grease and remove the stuck-on bits too.
We hope some tips above could help you to know how to clean your air fryer easily and properly. Now you can enjoy your wonderful meal as well as keep your air fryer smelling fresh at all times.