While kneading and shaping bread dough with your hands is...Read More
A cake turntable is a rotating stand that allows more manageable and smoother cake decorating. It can be beneficial for beginners just learning how to decorate cakes. Cake turntables come in various materials, including plastic, metal, marble, and slate, with different features, such as adjustable height and non-slip surfaces. When choosing a cake turntable for beginners, it is crucial to consider cost, durability, and ease of use.
Some recommended options for beginners include inexpensive plastic turntables that are small and easy to use and more versatile and durable turntables that come in complete sets with decorating tools. Ultimately, the best cake turntable for beginners will depend on individual needs and preferences.
What is a cake turntable used for?
A cake turntable is a tool used to rotate a cake while decorating it, allowing for more even coverage of icing and decorations. The turntable allows the baker to quickly and evenly spread icing, apply decorations, and create a professional-looking finished product.
Using a cake turntable helps create a smooth and even layer of icing on a cake, making it easier to add intricate designs or patterns to the cake.
Additionally, cleaning the turntable after use is essential, and some models have removable tops that can be placed in a dishwasher for easy cleaning. In contrast, others can be cleaned with warm water and dish soap.
Is a metal cake turntable better than plastic?
There is debate over whether a metal or plastic cake turntable is better for beginners. According to a review by some websites, a plastic cake turntable is a good choice for beginners due to its affordability and small size, which makes it easy to use and store. However, some bakers on a Reddit thread commented that a metal turntable is better as it is more durable and sturdy, which helps to achieve a smoother rotation for cake decoration.
Metal turntables are generally more durable and heavier, which can help with even rotation, but we also note that plastic turntables can be a good budget option. Choosing between a metal or plastic cake turntable may come from personal preference and budget.
What makes a high quality cake turntable?
There are several factors that can make a cake turntable high quality. Here are some of the key features to look for:
- Durability: A high-quality cake turntable should be made from sturdy materials that can withstand regular use without warping, cracking, or breaking.
- Smooth rotation: A good cake turntable should rotate smoothly and easily, without any wobbling or resistance. Look for a turntable with a ball-bearing mechanism, which can help ensure a smooth, even rotation.
- Non-slip surface: The top surface of the turntable should be non-slip to help keep the cake in place while you’re decorating. Look for a turntable with a silicone or rubber surface, which can provide a good grip.
- Easy to clean: A high-quality cake turntable should be easy to clean and maintain, with no crevices or hard-to-reach areas that can trap food or debris.
- Weight capacity: A good cake turntable should be able to support the weight of your heaviest cake without wobbling or tipping. Look for a turntable with a weight capacity of at least 10-15 pounds (4.5-6.8 kg), or more if you frequently work with very large or heavy cakes.
- Size and design: Choose a turntable that is the right size for your needs, with a diameter that can comfortably accommodate the size of your cakes. Additionally, look for a design that is comfortable to use, with a wide base and a comfortable grip.
By choosing a cake turntable with these features, you can ensure that you have a high-quality tool that will make your cake decorating process easier and more efficient.
Which cake turntable is best for a beginners?
Here are some popular options that are often recommended for beginners:
- Wilton Cake Decorating Turntable – This is a popular option for beginners, and it is affordable and easy to use. It has a non-slip base, a smooth rotation, and it can hold cakes up to 11 inches in diameter.
- Ateco 612 Revolving Cake Decorating Stand – This turntable is slightly more expensive than the Wilton option, but it is also more durable and can hold heavier cakes. It has a non-slip base and a ball-bearing mechanism for smooth rotation.
- Kootek Cake Turntable – This turntable is a bit larger than the other two, with a 12-inch diameter, and it also comes with additional accessories such as a spatula and cake scraper. It has a non-slip base, a smooth rotation, and it is easy to clean.
Ultimately, the best cake turntable for a beginner will depend on personal preferences and budget. It may be helpful to read reviews and compare features before making a decision.
What is the standard cake turntable size?
The standard size for a cake turntable is usually around 11 inches (28 centimeters) in diameter. However, larger options are available that can hold cakes up to 12 inches (30.5 centimeters) in diameter or more.
Your size will depend on your specific needs and the size of the cakes you typically work with. It is also essential to consider the turntable’s weight capacity and ensure it can support the weight of your heaviest cake.
Can you serve cake on a turntable?
Cake turntables are primarily designed for decorating cakes but can also serve cake in some situations. If the turntable is sturdy and made of food-safe materials, you can place a cake on it and use it to rotate the cake for easy slicing and serving. However, not all cake turntables are designed for serving, so it’s essential to check the product specifications before using them to serve the cake.
Some cake turntables may have a non-food-safe coating or other features that make them unsuitable for serving. If you need more clarification, it may be best to use a separate cake plate or platter for serving the cake.
How do use cake turntable for beginners?
Here are the basic steps for using a cake turntable as a beginner:
- Prepare your cake: Bake and cool your cake as desired, then level and fill as needed.
- Place the cake on the turntable: Place the cake on top of the turntable, making sure it’s centered and level.
- Add frosting: Apply a thin layer of frosting or crumb coat to the cake, using a spatula or offset spatula. Smooth the frosting as much as possible.
- Begin decorating: Once the crumb coat is set, apply a thicker layer of frosting to the cake, using the spatula or offset spatula to spread it evenly. Begin decorating as desired, rotating the cake on the turntable as needed to access different areas.
- Continue decorating: Add any additional frosting, decorations, or details to the cake, continuing to rotate the turntable as needed to access different areas.
- Finish the cake: Once you’ve finished decorating the cake, use a spatula or cake scraper to smooth the sides and top of the cake as desired.
- Remove the cake from the turntable: Once you’re done decorating, carefully remove the cake from the turntable by sliding a spatula or cake lifter underneath the cake and lifting it off.
By using a cake turntable, you can easily rotate your cake while decorating, allowing you to achieve smoother edges and more precise designs. With practice, you can use the turntable to create a wide range of cake designs and decorations.
How much weight can a cake turntable hold?
The weight capacity of a cake turntable can vary depending on the specific product and manufacturer. However, most standard cake turntables are designed to hold up to 10-15 pounds (4.5-6.8 kg) of weight, which is sufficient for most standard-sized cakes. Some turntables may have a lower weight capacity, while others may be able to hold heavier cakes.
It’s important to check the product specifications before purchasing a cake turntable to make sure it can support the weight of your heaviest cake. If you frequently work with very heavy or large cakes, you may want to consider investing in a heavy-duty cake turntable with a higher weight capacity.
How do I keep my cake from sliding on my turntable?
If you’re having trouble with your cake sliding on your turntable, there are a few things you can do to help keep it in place:
- Use a non-slip mat or damp cloth: Placing a non-slip mat or a damp cloth between the cake and the turntable can help create more friction and keep the cake from sliding.
- Chill the cake: If your cake is particularly soft or moist, it may be more prone to sliding. Try chilling the cake in the refrigerator for a short time before placing it on the turntable to help firm it up.
- Use frosting to “glue” the cake to the turntable: Adding a small amount of frosting or icing to the bottom of the cake can help “glue” it to the turntable and keep it in place.
- Hold the cake in place with your hand: If all else fails, you can use one hand to gently hold the cake in place while you decorate with the other.
By using these techniques, you can help keep your cake from sliding on your turntable and make it easier to decorate.
Benefits of using cake turntable for beginners
Using a cake turntable can provide several benefits for beginners who are learning to bake and decorate cakes:
- Improved control: A cake turntable allows you to easily rotate your cake while decorating, which can give you better control over the decorating process, allowing you to achieve smoother edges and more precise designs.
- Efficiency: Rotating the cake on a turntable can save you time, as it allows you to easily access all sides of the cake without having to move the cake around manually.
- Professional-looking results: Using a turntable can help you achieve a more professional look, as it allows you to work more quickly and accurately, giving your cake a polished, finished appearance.
- Comfort: A turntable can help reduce the strain on your arms and wrists by allowing you to keep your decorating tools in one place and easily move the cake instead of having to move yourself and the cake around.
- Versatility: A cake turntable can be used for a variety of cake decorating techniques, including frosting, smoothing, and adding decorative details.
Overall, using a cake turntable can make the cake decorating process easier and more efficient for beginners, helping them achieve better results and develop their skills more quickly.
Does a turntable need to be perfectly level?
How to clean cake turntable
To clean a cake turntable, follow these steps:
- Remove any excess frosting or decorations from the turntable using a spatula or scraper.
- Wipe down the turntable with a damp cloth or paper towel to remove any remaining frosting or debris.
- For more thorough cleaning, use a mild dish soap and warm water to clean the turntable. Use a soft sponge or brush to scrub the surface gently, taking care not to scratch the surface.
- Rinse the turntable thoroughly with warm water to remove any soap residue.
- Dry the turntable with a clean cloth or paper towel, making sure to remove any excess water.
- Store the turntable in a clean, dry place until your next use.
Avoid using abrasive cleaners or scouring pads on your cake turntable, as these can scratch the surface and damage the non-slip coating. Additionally, be sure to clean your turntable after each use to prevent any buildup of frosting or debris, which can make it more difficult to use in the future.
How to maintain cake turntable properly
To maintain your cake turntable and keep it in good condition for years to come, follow these tips:
- Clean it after each use: As mentioned earlier, it’s important to clean your cake turntable after each use to prevent the buildup of frosting or debris. Use a mild dish soap and warm water, and avoid using abrasive cleaners or scouring pads.
- Store it properly: Store your cake turntable in a clean, dry place where it won’t be exposed to moisture or dust. Avoid storing it in direct sunlight or near sources of heat, which can damage the surface or cause warping.
- Avoid exposing it to extreme temperatures: Don’t expose your cake turntable to extreme temperatures, such as placing it in the refrigerator or freezer. This can cause warping or cracking.
- Don’t overload it: Make sure not to overload your cake turntable with cakes or decorations that exceed its weight capacity. This can cause wobbling or tipping, which can damage the turntable or even cause the cake to fall.
- Check it periodically for damage: Periodically check your cake turntable for any signs of damage, such as warping or cracking. If you notice any damage, stop using the turntable and replace it as needed.
By following these tips, you can help ensure that your cake turntable stays in good condition and performs well for all your cake decorating needs.
Troubleshooting about cake turntable for beginners
Here are some common troubleshooting issues that beginners may encounter when using a cake turntable, and how to fix them:
- The cake is wobbling or tipping: This can happen if the cake is too heavy for the turntable or if the turntable is not level. Try adjusting the cake to redistribute the weight or check that the turntable is level.
- The cake is sliding on the turntable: This can happen if the surface of the turntable is too smooth or if the cake is too heavy. Try adding a non-slip mat or parchment paper to the surface of the turntable, or use a turntable with a non-slip coating.
- The frosting is uneven: This can happen if the turntable is not rotating smoothly or if the frosting is too thick or too thin. Try adjusting the angle of the spatula or offset spatula and applying even pressure when spreading the frosting.
- The turntable is difficult to rotate: This can happen if the turntable is not lubricated or if the surface is dirty or sticky. Try cleaning the surface of the turntable and applying a small amount of vegetable oil or shortening to the bearing.
- The cake is sticking to the turntable: This can happen if the turntable is not clean or if there is too much frosting on the cake. Try cleaning the turntable and wiping off any excess frosting or debris.
By addressing these common issues, beginners can overcome any difficulties they may encounter when using a cake turntable and create beautiful, professional-looking cakes.
Do you really need a cake turntable?
While a cake turntable is not an absolute necessity for baking and decorating cakes, it can be a helpful tool that makes the process easier and more efficient. Here are a few reasons why you might want to consider using a cake turntable:
- Easy rotation: A cake turntable allows you to easily rotate your cake while decorating, which can be especially helpful when applying frosting, smoothing the sides, or adding decorative details.
- Better control: Rotating the cake on a turntable can give you better control over the decorating process, allowing you to achieve smoother edges and more precise designs.
- Time-saving: Using a turntable can save you time, as it allows you to easily access all sides of the cake without having to move the cake around manually.
- Professional look: Decorating cakes on a turntable can help you achieve a more professional look, as it allows you to work more quickly and accurately.
Overall, while you can certainly decorate a cake without a turntable, using one can make the process easier and more efficient, especially for beginners who may still be developing their decorating skills.
Why Trust Us
You will find what you are looking for at Jody's Bakery. From classic to luxury brands, you'll find both. We will help you to select appliances that fit your needs, budget and lifestyle. Whether you want to stop by to learn more — or plan to make a major purchase — we’ll treat you like family and assist you every step of the way. Shop with us today to receive friendly and experienced help along the way.