A cake turntable is a rotating stand that allows more...Read More
A cake turntable is a tool that is commonly used in cake decorating to make it easier to apply frosting, create designs, and add decorations to cakes. It is a rotating platform that allows you to spin the cake while you work on it, making it easier to access all sides of the cake without having to move it around.
Cake turntables are available in a variety of sizes, materials, and designs, and they can be used by both beginners and professional bakers alike. By using a cake turntable, decorators can create smooth, even surfaces, precise designs, and beautiful decorations that are sure to impress.
Which turntable is best for decorating cake?
The best turntable for decorating a cake depends on your personal preferences and needs. Here are some factors to consider when choosing a turntable:
- Size: Choose a turntable that is appropriate for the size of your cake.
- Material: Look for a turntable that is made from sturdy and durable materials such as aluminum, stainless steel, or high-quality plastic.
- Stability: Choose a turntable that is stable and wobble-free, with a non-slip base.
- Rotating mechanism: Look for a turntable with a smooth and quiet rotating mechanism, preferably one that rotates in both directions.
- Ease of use: Choose a turntable that is easy to assemble, disassemble, and clean.
Some popular options for cake decorating turntables include the Wilton Trim-N-Turn Plus Cake Turntable, Ateco Revolving Cake Decorating Stand, and Kootek Cake Decorating Turntable. Ultimately, the best turntable for you will depend on your specific needs and preferences.
- Ateco 612 Revolving Cake Decorating Stand: This is a professional-grade turntable that is made of durable aluminum and features a non-slip base and ball bearings for smooth rotation. It has a weight capacity of up to 75 pounds and a 12-inch diameter platform.
- Wilton Tilt-N-Turn Ultra Cake Turntable: This is a versatile turntable that can tilt up to 20 degrees in any direction, making it easier to reach all sides of the cake. It has a non-slip base and a 12-inch diameter platform with a weight capacity of up to 300 pounds.
- Kootek Cake Turntable: This is an affordable option that is great for beginners. It features a non-slip base, a 12-inch diameter platform, and a weight capacity of up to 120 pounds. It also comes with a set of decorating tools, including spatulas and icing tips.
- Cake Boss Decorating Tools Plastic Cake Decorating Turntable: This is a lightweight and budget-friendly option that is made of durable plastic. It features a non-slip base, a 12-inch diameter platform, and a weight capacity of up to 50 pounds.
Ultimately, the best turntable for your cake will depend on your individual needs and preferences. Consider factors such as the weight capacity, diameter, material, and ease of use when selecting a cake turntable.
What is a cake decorating turntable?
A cake decorating turntable is a tool used in cake decorating that consists of a rotating platform that allows you to spin the cake as you work on it. The turntable can be made of various materials, including plastic, metal, or glass, and usually sits on a base that is designed to keep it stable while it rotates. A cake decorating turntable makes it easier to access all sides of the cake without having to move it around manually, which can be especially helpful when adding details or decorations to the cake.
The turntable can also help to create a smooth and even finish on the cake, and can be especially useful for more advanced decorating techniques.
Overall, a cake decorating turntable can be a valuable tool for both beginner and experienced cake decorators, and can make the process of decorating a cake much more efficient and effective.
Do I need a turntable to decorate a cake?
No, you do not need a turntable to decorate a cake, but it can make the process much easier and more efficient. A turntable is a useful tool for rotating the cake as you work on it, which can help you achieve a smooth and even finish, and make it easier to access all sides of the cake without having to move it around manually.
However, if you do not have a turntable, you can still decorate a cake by placing it on a flat surface and rotating it by hand as you work on it. While this may be more time-consuming and require more effort, it is still possible to achieve beautiful results without a turntable.
What can I use instead of a turntable for cake decorating?
If you do not have a turntable for cake decorating, there are several alternatives that you can use instead:
- Lazy Susan: A lazy Susan is a rotating tray that is commonly used for serving food. It can be used as a substitute for a cake turntable, although it may not be as stable or have the same weight capacity.
- Microwave turntable: A microwave turntable can be used as a makeshift cake turntable. It is typically smaller than a dedicated cake turntable, but it can still rotate and make it easier to decorate your cake.
- Large plate or cake board: You can also use a large plate or cake board as a substitute for a turntable. Place the plate or board on a flat surface and rotate the cake manually as you work on it.
- Work with the cake in your hands: For some decorating techniques, it may be easier to hold the cake in your hands and rotate it manually as you work on it. This method can be more time-consuming and require more effort, but it can be effective for smaller cakes or when working with intricate details.
While a dedicated cake turntable can be helpful for cake decorating, there are several alternatives that you can use instead if you do not have one available.
Do you put cake directly on turntable?
Yes, you can put a cake directly on a turntable for decorating purposes. It is important to ensure that the turntable is clean and stable before placing the cake on it. To prepare the turntable for the cake, you can first place a piece of parchment paper or a non-slip mat on the turntable to prevent the cake from sliding around as you work on it. Then, carefully transfer the cake onto the turntable, making sure that it is centered and level.
Once the cake is in place, you can begin decorating by rotating the turntable as you work on each section of the cake. It’s important to keep in mind that the weight of the cake can impact the stability of the turntable, so it’s important to choose a sturdy and well-made turntable that can support the weight of your cake.
What does a beginner cake decorator need?
When it comes to making pastry, the size of the food processor is not as important as the power of the motor and the design of the blades. A food processor with a powerful motor and sharp blades will be able to handle pastry dough regardless of its size.
That being said, a food processor with a capacity of at least 7 cups is generally recommended for making pastry dough. This is because pastry dough requires a larger bowl than other food preparations, such as chopping vegetables or blending sauces. A larger bowl allows the dough to come together properly without overflowing.
In addition to the size of the bowl, it’s also important to consider the shape of the food processor. A wider, shorter bowl is generally better for making pastry dough because it allows the ingredients to be distributed evenly and processed more efficiently. A food processor with a narrow, deep bowl may not be as effective for making pastry dough.
Ultimately, the best food processor for making pastry dough is one that is powerful, has sharp blades, and a bowl that is at least 7 cups in size with a wider, shorter shape.
What is the best way to decorate a cake?
If you’re a beginner cake decorator, there are a few essential tools and supplies that you will need to get started:
- Cake pans: You will need cake pans in various sizes and shapes to bake your cakes. The most common shapes are round, square, and rectangular.
- Spatulas: Spatulas are essential for spreading frosting and smoothing it out. A small offset spatula and a large offset spatula are good choices.
- Icing bags: Icing bags are used for piping frosting and come in various sizes. Disposable plastic bags are a good choice for beginners.
- Piping tips: Piping tips are used to create different shapes and designs with frosting. Start with a basic set of round, star, and leaf tips.
- Turntable: While not essential, a turntable can make decorating easier by allowing you to rotate the cake as you work.
- Cake board: A cake board is a sturdy cardboard base that supports the cake and makes it easier to transport.
- Bench scraper: A bench scraper is useful for smoothing out the sides of the cake.
- Cake leveler: A cake leveler is used to even out the top of the cake before frosting.
- Cake stand: A cake stand is a decorative base that can be used to display your finished cake.
- Food coloring: Food coloring is used to tint frosting and create different colors.
With these basic tools and supplies, you will be well-equipped to start decorating cakes as a beginner. As you gain more experience and skills, you can add more specialized tools and supplies to your collection.
What is the best way to decorate a cake?
There are many ways to decorate a cake, and the best way will depend on your personal preferences, the occasion, and the design you have in mind. However, here are some general tips and steps that can help you achieve a beautifully decorated cake:
- Prepare the cake: Start by baking the cake and letting it cool completely before decorating. You may also want to level the cake layers and add a crumb coat of frosting before decorating.
- Choose a design: Decide on the type of design you want to create, whether it’s a simple design or a more complex one. You can look for inspiration online, in books, or from your own creativity.
- Frost the cake: Using an offset spatula, apply a smooth layer of frosting to the cake. You can choose a buttercream frosting, a whipped cream frosting, or a fondant covering, depending on the design and the occasion.
- Add decorations: Once the cake is frosted, you can add decorations such as piped frosting, fondant shapes, fresh fruit, edible flowers, or sprinkles. You can also use stencils, molds, or cookie cutters to create specific shapes.
- Use a turntable: A turntable can be helpful for rotating the cake as you work on it and for achieving a smooth and even finish.
- Practice piping: If you plan to use piping for your decorations, it’s a good idea to practice on a piece of parchment paper before piping directly onto the cake.
- Pay attention to detail: Take your time and pay attention to the small details, such as piping edges, smoothing out frosting, and placing decorations evenly.
- Refrigerate the cake: Once you have finished decorating, refrigerate the cake for at least an hour to allow the frosting to set and the decorations to firm up.
Remember, the most important thing when decorating a cake is to have fun and be creative!
How do you transfer a cake from a turntable?
To transfer a cake from a turntable, follow these steps:
- Make sure the cake is fully decorated and any frosting or decorations have set.
- Gently slide a thin, flat spatula or cake lifter between the bottom of the cake and the turntable to loosen the cake.
- Carefully lift the cake off the turntable and onto a flat surface, such as a cake board or serving platter.
- If using a cake board, slide the cake onto the board by gently tilting it onto one side and sliding the board underneath.
- If the cake needs to be transported, it is best to secure it to the cake board or serving platter with a small amount of frosting or melted chocolate to prevent it from sliding during transport.
- Cover the cake with a cake dome or wrap it in plastic wrap to keep it fresh.
Remember to be gentle and take your time when transferring a cake from a turntable to avoid any damage to the cake or decorations.
How do I stop my cake from moving on my turntable?
To stop your cake from moving on your turntable, you can try the following:
- Make sure your turntable is level: If your turntable is not level, your cake may slide or wobble. Check to make sure your turntable is on a flat surface and adjust any leveling feet if necessary.
- Use a non-slip mat: You can place a non-slip mat or a damp paper towel between your cake and the turntable to create some friction and prevent sliding.
- Secure the cake to the turntable: You can use a small amount of frosting or melted chocolate to attach the cake to the turntable. Apply a small amount of frosting or chocolate to the center of the turntable and then gently place the cake on top, pressing down slightly to secure it.
- Use a cake board: Placing your cake on a cake board can provide extra stability and make it easier to move the cake on and off the turntable. You can also secure the cake board to the turntable with a small amount of frosting or melted chocolate.
- Use a turntable with a non-slip base: Consider investing in a turntable with a non-slip base, as these are specifically designed to prevent movement and provide a stable base for cake decorating.
By taking these steps, you can help to keep your cake stable and prevent it from moving on your turntable.
Benefits of using cake turntable for decorating
There are several benefits to using a cake turntable for decorating, including:
- Easy access to all sides: A cake turntable allows you to easily access and decorate all sides of your cake without having to move it around.
- Smooth, consistent rotation: The smooth rotation of a turntable allows for more precise and consistent decorating, as you can spin the cake at a steady pace.
- Better control: With a cake turntable, you can hold your decorating tools steady while the cake rotates, giving you better control over your decorating.
- Reduced strain: Decorating a cake can be a tiring process, but using a turntable can help reduce the strain on your arms and wrists by allowing you to keep your decorating tools in one position while the cake rotates.
- Professional results: Using a turntable can help you achieve more professional-looking results, as it allows for smoother and more even frosting application and decorations.
Overall, a cake turntable can make the cake decorating process easier, more efficient, and more enjoyable, resulting in a beautifully decorated cake.
Factors to consider when choosing the best cake turntable for decorating
When choosing the best cake turntable for decorating, here are some important factors to consider:
- Size: Consider the size of the cakes you typically decorate and choose a turntable that can accommodate them comfortably.
- Weight capacity: Check the weight capacity of the turntable to ensure it can support the weight of your cakes.
- Material: Look for a turntable made of sturdy, durable materials such as plastic or metal. Avoid turntables that are too flimsy or have a weak base.
- Rotating mechanism: Consider the type of rotating mechanism you prefer – a ball bearing or a track system. Ball bearing turntables provide smooth, consistent rotation while track systems are more affordable.
- Non-slip base: Look for a turntable with a non-slip base to ensure it stays in place while you decorate.
- Ease of cleaning: Choose a turntable that is easy to clean and maintain, such as those that are dishwasher safe.
- Price: Consider your budget when choosing a turntable. There are options available at various price points, so you can find one that fits your needs and budget.
By taking these factors into consideration, you can choose the best cake turntable for your specific needs and preferences.
How to clean cake turntable for decorating
Cleaning your cake turntable after each use is important to keep it hygienic and free from any food residues that may attract pests or harbor bacteria. Here are the steps to clean a cake turntable for decorating:
- Remove any leftover frosting or cake crumbs from the turntable using a spatula or a clean, dry cloth.
- Wash the turntable with warm, soapy water, using a soft sponge or cloth. Make sure to clean both the top and bottom surfaces, as well as the base.
- Rinse the turntable with clean water to remove any soap residue.
- Dry the turntable with a clean, dry cloth or let it air dry.
- For stubborn stains or residue, use a baking soda paste made by mixing baking soda and water, and gently rub it onto the turntable surface with a soft cloth. Rinse off with clean water and dry.
- If your turntable is dishwasher safe, you can also wash it in the dishwasher.
Make sure to always check the manufacturer’s instructions for any specific cleaning instructions or limitations, and avoid using abrasive cleaning tools or harsh chemicals that could damage the turntable.
How to maintain cake turntable for decorating properly
Proper maintenance of your cake turntable for decorating will ensure its longevity and effectiveness. Here are some tips for maintaining your cake turntable:
- Store your turntable in a dry, cool place to prevent warping or cracking.
- Clean your turntable after each use to prevent food residues from accumulating and causing damage to the surface.
- Avoid exposing your turntable to extreme temperatures, such as direct sunlight or a hot oven, which can cause warping or cracking.
- Handle your turntable with care, avoiding dropping or banging it against hard surfaces.
- Lubricate the rotating mechanism occasionally with a food-grade lubricant or vegetable oil to ensure smooth rotation.
- Check the base of your turntable regularly to ensure that it is stable and not wobbly. If the base is loose, tighten the screws or bolts as needed.
- Replace your turntable when it shows signs of wear and tear, such as scratches or cracks, to prevent any safety hazards.
By following these tips, you can maintain your cake turntable in good condition and ensure it lasts for a long time.
Troubleshooting about cake turntable for decorating
Here are some common issues that you may encounter when using a cake turntable for decorating, along with troubleshooting solutions:
- Turntable is wobbly or unstable: Check if the base is securely attached and tighten the screws or bolts if necessary. Also, make sure that the surface you’re using the turntable on is level.
- Cake slides or moves on the turntable: Place a non-slip mat or damp towel underneath the cake to prevent it from moving. Alternatively, you can use a cake decorating turntable with a non-slip base.
- Turntable is difficult to rotate: Clean the rotating mechanism and lubricate it with a food-grade lubricant or vegetable oil.
- Turntable is difficult to clean: Use a soft sponge or cloth to clean the turntable and avoid using abrasive cleaning tools that could scratch the surface.
- Turntable is not the right size for your cake: Choose a turntable that is appropriate for the size of your cake.
- Turntable is not durable: Invest in a high-quality turntable that is made from sturdy materials and is designed to withstand regular use.
By troubleshooting these issues, you can ensure that your cake turntable works properly and makes your cake decorating experience smoother and more enjoyable.
Should you buy cake turntable for decorating?
A cake turntable for decorating is an essential tool for any baker or cake decorator. It allows you to easily and smoothly rotate your cake while you decorate it, giving you more control and precision over your designs. When choosing a cake turntable for decorating, consider factors such as the size, material, stability, and ease of use.
Proper maintenance of your turntable, including regular cleaning and lubrication, will ensure its longevity and effectiveness. By using a cake turntable for decorating, you can take your cake decorating skills to the next level and create stunning, professional-looking cakes.
Why Trust Us
You will find what you are looking for at Jody's Bakery. From classic to luxury brands, you'll find both. We will help you to select appliances that fit your needs, budget and lifestyle. Whether you want to stop by to learn more — or plan to make a major purchase — we’ll treat you like family and assist you every step of the way. Shop with us today to receive friendly and experienced help along the way.