Bread machine hot cross buns are a delicious and convenient way to make this traditional Easter treat at home. Hot cross buns are a type of sweet yeast bread that are typically spiced with cinnamon and studded with raisins or currants. The buns are marked with a cross on top, either with icing or by slashing the dough before baking, which represents the crucifixion of Jesus Christ.
Using a bread machine to make hot cross buns simplifies the process, as the machine will handle the kneading and rising of the dough. This means that you can enjoy fresh hot cross buns without spending hours in the kitchen. Bread machine hot cross buns can be customized to your taste, with options to add different types of dried fruit or spices.
Whether you are celebrating Easter or simply looking for a delicious sweet bread, bread machine hot cross buns are a great choice. They can be enjoyed fresh out of the oven or toasted and topped with butter for a delicious breakfast or snack.
Why you should make hot cross buns in bread machine?
How to make hot cross buns in bread machine
Here is a simple recipe for making hot cross buns in a bread machine:
- 1/2 cup warm milk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 cups bread flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons milk
- Add the warm milk, sugar, egg, and softened butter to the bread machine pan. Then, add the bread flour, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and active dry yeast. Select the dough setting on the bread machine and start the machine.
- After a few minutes, add the raisins to the dough in the bread machine.
- Once the dough is done, remove it from the bread machine and place it on a lightly floured surface. Divide the dough into 12 equal pieces and shape each piece into a ball.
- Place the dough balls onto a greased baking sheet, cover them with a clean cloth, and let them rise in a warm place for about 30 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C). Beat the egg white in a small bowl and brush it over the tops of the buns.
- Bake the hot cross buns for 15-20 minutes or until they are golden brown.
- While the buns are baking, mix together the powdered sugar and milk in a small bowl to make the icing for the cross.
- Once the buns are done, remove them from the oven and let them cool slightly. Drizzle the icing over the tops of the buns in the shape of a cross.
- Serve the hot cross buns warm or at room temperature.
Enjoy your delicious homemade hot cross buns!
Tips for making hot cross buns in bread machine
Here are some tips to help you make perfect hot cross buns in a bread machine:
- Use fresh ingredients: Use fresh ingredients, especially the yeast, to ensure the best rise and texture for your buns.
- Room temperature ingredients: Make sure your ingredients are at room temperature before adding them to the bread machine. Cold ingredients can slow down the rising process.
- Add raisins later: If you want to add raisins or other dried fruit to your hot cross buns, wait until the bread machine signals that it is time to add mix-ins, typically about 10-15 minutes into the kneading cycle.
- Check the dough consistency: After the first few minutes of kneading, check the dough’s consistency. If it looks too dry, add a tablespoon of water at a time until the dough forms a smooth, elastic ball.
- Let the dough rise: Once the dough is done in the bread machine, transfer it to a lightly floured surface and let it rise for at least 30 minutes in a warm place, covered with a clean cloth.
- Use a sharp knife to make the cross: If you are making the traditional cross on top of your hot cross buns, use a sharp knife to make the cuts before baking. This will ensure a clean and distinct cross shape.
- Don’t overbake: Keep an eye on your buns while they are baking to ensure they don’t overbake. Overbaked hot cross buns can be dry and tough.
With these tips, you should be able to make delicious hot cross buns in your bread machine. Enjoy!
- All Post
- Air Fryer
- Baby Food Maker
- Best Lists
- Bread Maker Machine
- Bread Slicer
- Cake pop maker
- Cooking Tips
- Crepe maker
- Deep Fryer
- Electric Mixer
- food dehydrator
- Food Processor
- Food Slicer
- Food Steamer
- Grain Mill Grinder
- ice cream maker
- Instant Pot
- Kitchen Gadget
- Meat Slicer
- Microwave Oven
- Pasta Maker
- Sandwich maker
- Slow Cooker
- Toaster Oven
- Waffle maker
Why Trust Us
You will find what you are looking for at Jody's Bakery. From classic to luxury brands, you'll find both. We will help you to select appliances that fit your needs, budget and lifestyle. Whether you want to stop by to learn more — or plan to make a major purchase — we’ll treat you like family and assist you every step of the way. Shop with us today to receive friendly and experienced help along the way.