Food steamer pork buns, also known as “baozi” or “steamed buns”, are a type of Chinese dim sum that has become popular worldwide. These small, fluffy buns are filled with savory pork and spices, and are traditionally steamed to perfection in a food steamer.
Food steamer pork buns are a delicious and filling snack or meal that can be enjoyed at any time of the day. They are also a popular street food in many parts of China and other Asian countries.
Making pork buns at home with a food steamer is a great way to enjoy this delicious snack without having to go to a restaurant.
Why should you use food steamer for Pork buns?
Using a food steamer is the traditional and preferred method for cooking pork buns for several reasons:
- Retains moisture: Steaming the pork buns in a food steamer helps to retain their moisture and keep them soft and fluffy. This is because the steam generated in the steamer creates a moist environment that prevents the buns from drying out during cooking.
- Even cooking: Food steamer pork buns are cooked evenly, ensuring that the filling is heated all the way through and the dough is fully cooked. This results in a consistent texture and flavor throughout the pork bun.
- Healthier cooking method: Steaming is a healthier cooking method compared to frying or baking as it does not require any additional oil or fat, making it a healthier option for those watching their calorie intake.
- Easy to use: Food steamers are simple to use, requiring minimal preparation and cooking time. Once the pork buns are placed in the steamer, there is no need to check on them, allowing you to prepare other dishes or attend to other tasks.
Overall, using a food steamer is the best way to cook pork buns as it ensures that they are soft, fluffy, and fully cooked with a delicious savory filling.
How to steam pork buns in food steamer
Here is how to steam pork buns in a food steamer:
- Pork filling (ground pork, minced ginger, minced garlic, soy sauce, sesame oil, sugar, green onion)
- Store-bought or homemade bao dough
- Cornstarch (for dusting)
- Prepare the pork filling: In a bowl, mix together the ground pork, minced ginger, minced garlic, soy sauce, sesame oil, sugar, and green onion until well combined.
- Roll out the bao dough: Dust a clean work surface with cornstarch and roll out the bao dough into small circles (about 3-4 inches in diameter).
- Add the pork filling: Place a small spoonful of pork filling in the center of each circle of bao dough. Be careful not to overfill the buns, as they may burst during cooking.
- Pleat the dough: Gather the edges of the dough and pleat them together to seal the buns, making sure that the pork filling is completely enclosed.
- Prepare the steamer: Line the steamer baskets with parchment paper or cabbage leaves to prevent the buns from sticking to the bottom.
- Steam the buns: Place the buns in the steamer basket, making sure to leave enough space between them for expansion. Cover the steamer with a lid and steam the buns for 15-20 minutes, or until the dough is fully cooked and the filling is hot.
- Serve the pork buns: Remove the buns from the steamer and serve them hot. You can serve the pork buns as a snack or as part of a meal.
By following these steps, you can easily steam delicious and fluffy pork buns in a food steamer.
Tips for steaming pork buns in food steamer
Here are some tips for steaming pork buns in a food steamer:
- Use the right type of flour: Use a high-quality, low-protein flour when making the bao dough. This will help to ensure that the buns are soft and fluffy.
- Let the dough rest: After rolling out the bao dough, let it rest for a few minutes before adding the pork filling. This will help to relax the dough and make it easier to pleat.
- Don’t overfill the buns: Be careful not to overfill the buns with pork filling, as this can cause them to burst during cooking. A small spoonful of filling is enough for each bun.
- Use parchment paper or cabbage leaves: To prevent the buns from sticking to the steamer basket, line it with parchment paper or cabbage leaves.
- Leave enough space between the buns: Leave enough space between the buns in the steamer basket to allow for expansion during cooking.
- Don’t overcrowd the steamer: Avoid overcrowding the steamer as this can affect the cooking time and result in unevenly cooked pork buns.
- Keep the water level constant: Make sure to keep the water level constant in the food steamer during cooking. If the water level drops too low, add more hot water to the steamer.
- Test for doneness: To check if the pork buns are fully cooked, insert a toothpick or skewer into the center of a bun. If it comes out clean, the buns are ready.
By following these tips, you can ensure that your pork buns come out soft, fluffy, and delicious every time.
Why Trust Us
You will find what you are looking for at Jody's Bakery. From classic to luxury brands, you'll find both. We will help you to select appliances that fit your needs, budget and lifestyle. Whether you want to stop by to learn more — or plan to make a major purchase — we’ll treat you like family and assist you every step of the way. Shop with us today to receive friendly and experienced help along the way.