Who does not love bulletproof coffee in the morning? Not only does this powerful drink give you an energy boost to start your day, but it is also incredibly satisfying. The problem is that making bulletproof coffee in a blender can be a little tricky.
If you do not know what you’re doing, you might end up with a mess on your hands. But do not worry – I am here to help! In this post, I am going to show you how to make bulletproof coffee in a blender without any drama. So, let us get started!
What is bulletproof coffee?
Bulletproof or butter coffee is a type of high-energy, ketogenic drink. It is amazingly simple to make, and many people have reported being able to live on it entirely for weeks at a time without feeling hungry.
A typical recipe involves mixing a few shots of espresso or strong black coffee with around 2 tablespoons of grass-fed butter and 1-2 tablespoons of medium or coconut oil.
And it is not only convenient but extremely healthy too! Our brain uses ketones as an alternative fuel source to glucose when blood sugar levels are low, which occurs naturally in our body during periods of fasting or if you are on a strict paleo diet. Bulletproof coffee provides a nice energy boost and keeps you full for hours.
How does Bulletproof Coffee work?
Coffee is chock-full of antioxidants and beneficial nutrients, but it also contains caffeine. Caffeine levels in coffee can vary dramatically depending on the origin of the beans, processing methods used, and roasting times/temperatures.
Coffee that has been through a rigorous filtration process to improve taste is often decaffeinated. This process involves removing all caffeine from the beans, but it also removes many beneficial nutrients. In fact, decaf coffee has been found to have lower antioxidant activity than regular coffee due to this filtration process.
Bulletproof coffee uses a special type of oil that contains high levels of healthy saturated fats called Medium Chain Triglycerides (MCTs). MCTs are converted in the liver to ketones, which act as an alternate energy source. This is beneficial for both brain function and fat loss.
Benefits of Using Bulletproof Coffee as a Meal Replacement
Bulletproof coffee is a combination of grass-fed butter and coconut oil with a cup of black coffee mixed in. It has been known to improve mental clarity, stamina, weight loss, and fat burning.
These benefits are attributed to the presence of healthy fats in bulletproof coffee.
- Low carb dieters tend to eat fewer calories throughout the day when they drink bulletproof coffee rather than breakfast or lunch.
- People who consume bulletproof coffee for breakfast end up eating less calories during the day and losing weight more easily.
- People who drink bulletproof coffee in the morning tend to eat less throughout the day.
- The nutrients and healthy fats in bulletproof coffee keep people full for longer, which can help them lose weight while still feeling satisfied.
Difference between coffee flavors
There is no correct answer to this question as it is all about personal preferences. Nevertheless, we have some advice that might help you choose the best bulletproof coffee supplements according to your expectations.
First, if you like strong flavors go for MCT oil as it provides an immensely powerful energy kick.
Second, if you prefer your bulletproof coffee to be more on the sweet side, go for grass-fed butter as it tastes more natural and less greasy than regular butter.
Third and lastly, if you want that typical rich flavor of excellent quality coffee beans then go for coconut oil as it provides a rich, creamy, and smooth taste.
How To Make Bulletproof Coffee In A Blender
I do not own a coffee grinder, so I am going to show you how to make bulletproof coffee in a blender.
It is simple – all you need is a blender (we recommend getting the best blender for bulletproof coffee), grass-fed butter or ghee, medium or coconut oil, espresso shots or strong black coffee (caffeine is an essential element of the bulletproof coffee recipe), and a milk frothier (optional).
- Put about 16 oz of water into the blender. You can put less, but that is what I usually use.
- Add 2tbs of butter and 2tbs of MCT oil to the water. MCT stands for Medium Chain Triglyceride, and unlike other oils it is metabolized like fat rather than like a carb. The net effect is that it will provide you with clean-burning energy instead of making you crash like caffeinated coffee will. It has other health benefits too, but I am just going to leave that at the fact that it is healthy, and you should get some.
- Add 2tbs of unsalted high-quality coffee to the blender. I will assume you already know how to make coffee; I like French press myself, but espresso machines work great too. Grind the beans right before making your cup of coffee – ideally it should be ground immediately before brewing, but I did not want to go on a coffee-making tangent.
- Add 1tbs of unsalted grass-fed butter and 1tbs of MCT oil to the coffee grounds. Do not worry about mixing it or anything; just dump them in there! You can use salted butter, but it just is not as good.
- Blend the coffee mixture for 20 seconds or so. The butter and oil will separate from the solids, which is why you’re using a blender instead of stirring everything by hand, because it would be difficult to extract them otherwise. Also: Don’t blend it too much! Those coffee beans are expensive, and if you over-blend everything will wind up tasting like coffee with soggy coffee grounds in it.
- Drink your bulletproof coffee! If you’re sensitive to caffeine, start with one cup; otherwise, go hog wild. As a bonus, the coffee is hot enough to make your MCT oil turn into a lovely vapor that goes straight to your brain! You can use the same method for tea or about any hot beverage.
Note: if you like your coffee cold and creamy you can add some ice cubes to the drink.
What is the best bulletproof coffee recipe?
If you are anything like me, making bulletproof coffee in a blender is your preferred method of making it. You can use it to make all sorts of delicious drinks for the whole family.
If you are looking for more recipes beyond my original article on bulletproof Coffee in a blender, I have included some that I have tried and enjoyed below.
- Coffee and chocolate: Blend one or two scoops of bulletproof coffee concentrate with a primeval path, full-fat coconut milk, cocoa powder, honey (optional) and ice. I also sometimes add collagen peptides for an added protein punch. This makes an excellent morning drink to get you moving.
- Coffee with greens: Blend 12 ounces of brewed bulletproof coffee, 1/2-1 cup of loosely packed baby spinach or other leafy green, 2 teaspoons grass-fed butter, 1 teaspoon maca root powder (optional), and 1 tablespoon collagen peptides (optional). This helps me to feel more alert and productive.
- Orange creamsicle: Put 2 scoops of bulletproof coffee into a blender with 1/4 cup-1/2 cup full-fat coconut milk, juice from one orange (or about 1/4 cup), ice cubes as desired, and 1 teaspoon-1 tablespoon cacao butter (optional). This tastes like a creamsicle and is an excellent way to start your day.
- Coffee with cinnamon: Put 2 scoops of bulletproof coffee in the blender, add 1/4 cup-1/2 cup full-fat coconut milk, 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (or 1 cinnamon stick), 1 tablespoon collagen peptides (optional), and ice cubes. Blend until smooth and enjoy this beverage, which I am excellent for giving me energy.
- Chocolate hazelnut: Put 2 scoops of bulletproof coffee in the blender along with 1/4 cup-1/2 cup full-fat coconut milk, 1-2 tablespoons cocoa powder, 1 tablespoon-1 tablespoon hazelnut butter or other nut butter, 1 teaspoon cacao nibs (optional), and ice cubes. This is an excellent way to enjoy chocolate flavor without eating any sugar.
- Vanilla latte: Put 2 scoops of bulletproof coffee in the blender along with 1/4 cup-1/2 cup full-fat coconut milk, collagen peptides, vanilla extract to taste, ice cubes, and 1 teaspoon of cacao butter. Blend this until smooth for a healthy alternative to Starbucks iced coffee drinks.
I hope you enjoy these recipes as much as I have enjoyed trying them out.
FAQs About How To Make Bulletproof Coffee In A Blender
Bulletproof Coffee (BPC) is a mix of high-quality coffee, grass-fed unsalted butter, and MCT oil. The result is smooth, creamy coffee that keeps you full for hours. See more about the benefits of BPC on the Benefits of Bulletproof Coffee page.
Bulletproof coffee is best consumed when you first wake up in the morning. It will help jumpstart your energy levels and improve mental focus for the morning.
Programs like intermittent fasting will force your body to use stored fat for fuel, which speeds up this process even more. Therefore, it is common to experience weight loss when you first start intermittent fasting.
You should always use coffee that has been organically grown and processed using the best practices. Specialty coffee shops often have high-quality beans, but you may enjoy your own tastes more. It is up to you!
Be sure to avoid any pre-packaged coffee or instant mixes because they will be void of nutrients and fat.
The best type of oil to use is a natural, high-quality butter or ghee that does not contain any chemicals or additives. Some people like to mix in some coconut oil for added benefits too.
You can also add MCT oil to your coffee for a brain-boosting mixture. Not only is MCT oil converted into ketones in the liver, but it also helps your body absorb nutrients from coffee too.
It is best to purchase these oils online or at specialty stores because they are often difficult to find in local supermarkets.
The most important thing to remember is that you should always heat your coffee and not add cold milk. Cold milk will prevent the fat from melting, which means you’re not getting any of those heart-healthy benefits.
While you can use a blender and put all the ingredients in there, many people like to make bulletproof coffee with a French press. This allows you to decant your coffee into a thermos or cup after it has been brewing.
There are two blenders I recommend, the Vitamix or Blendtec . Both blenders will make the best possible BPC you can make (I know because I have tried them all). Why both? The main difference between the two high speed blender giants is the jar. Each jar serves a different purpose so if you must choose one or the other, do it base on this information, not just price points.
The Vitamix makes a BPC that has a smoother consistency than a Blendtec. This is because of the rounded bottom of the blender. This is because the vortex formed by the blades does not produce as much friction during blending. As a result, it makes for a smoother BPC than Blendtec. The Vitamix also has more horsepower than any other blender on the market which means you can blend anything with it, even if you’re making nut butter, soup, or ice cream.
The Blendtec has a square shaped bottom which means the blades will grind up your coffee beans before they blend it into your BPC. This is better if you’re trying to add un-blended coffee beans into your BPC for added flavor (coffee cherry anyone?). The Blendtec is also more affordable.
You will need a high-speed blender that will not burn out or get overheated by the friction of blending. You will want a jar that has a flat bottom so you can blend un-blended coffee beans into your BPC.
Vitamix and Blendtec are the best blenders for bulletproof coffee because they meet all these requirements. I also own both and highly recommend them for this purpose (I have tried other lesser quality blenders).
Bulletproof Coffee is a fantastic addition to your Ketogenic diet! Not only is it more filling, but you will not suffer from carb-flu like other coffee drinks. The fats in BPC will keep you full for hours and the caffeine is a bonus.
Yes. If you want to avoid the caffeine, either get decaf beans or buy vanilla extract (try finding one that is only 2 ingredients…vanilla extract and water). I would recommend making BPC with caffeinated coffee beans if you’re not trying to avoid caffeine.
It depends on your level of sensitivity towards caffeine. If you need a strong cup of coffee, try French or Italian roast organic decaf beans. If you usually drink medium roast, go for that. If you drink mild roast, go with that.
Yes. You should NEVER heat anything up that is non-organic because the toxins will seep into your beverage (and then into your body). Not worth it! If you’re on the fence about buying organic, just read this.
Keep them in an air-tight container in your pantry. A mason jar works the best because of the silicone seal at the top. Make sure no light can penetrate its walls so that it does not oxidize, go bad, or lose its nutritional value.
Any time you need an energy boost or want to feel full without eating a lot of food. It is also great for getting your body into ketosis fast if that is something you’re trying to do.
Depending on the size of your cup, anywhere from 4-7 cups.
It is different for everyone. I have noticed that when I have it when I wake up, I feel full and energized for about 6 hours. When I drink it during the afternoon slump at work, I do not experience any fatigue until about 4 o’clock.
Yes, although you will not be able to reap ALL the benefits of BPC because not all of it will seep into your food. It still tastes great though! Try making a chili or hearty soup. You could also try baking with them… muffins/cupcakes taste great with a little added bitter.
If you buy them in bulk, keep them in a jar on your counter. If you buy them from the store, place them in an air-tight container and make sure they are not exposed to too much light.
Green coffee beans are better for you because they have not been roasted yet…which means there are not any toxins in them that would normally be heated up during the roasting process. However, if you’re buying them from the store, they are usually mixed with regular coffee beans so just read the label to find out what you’re buying!
Bulletproof coffee is one of the most popular drinks in America. It is a drink that has been around for years, but now it has reached new heights as more people are learning about its benefits and how to make it at home.
The recipe for bulletproof coffee is not complicated, but there are some tips you should know before trying this at home (and these same tips can be applied to any other type of blender-based recipes). Remember these three things before making your first batch of homemade bulletproof coffee!
- Best blender to puree food: A Detailed Comparison.
- Which Blender Food Processor Combo Should You Buy?
- Best blender for hot liquids
- Best Quiet Blenders: 10 Machine Reviews That Will Help You Pick Your Perfect One.
- How to make bulletproof coffee in a blender
- Best blender for bulletproof coffee
- How to make body butter by blender
- Best Blender For Making Body Butter
- Best Blenders Compatible With Mason Jars
- The Ultimate Guide To Buying The Best Blender With Glass Jar
Why Trust Us
You will find what you are looking for at Jody's Bakery. From classic to luxury brands, you'll find both. We will help you to select appliances that fit your needs, budget and lifestyle. Whether you want to stop by to learn more — or plan to make a major purchase — we’ll treat you like family and assist you every step of the way. Shop with us today to receive friendly and experienced help along the way.