Pressure canning nectarine peach plum jam is a delicious way to preserve the sweet, fruity flavors of the summer season all year round. This recipe combines the flavors of ripe nectarines, juicy peaches, and plump plums to create a delightful jam that can be enjoyed on toast, biscuits, or even as a glaze for meats.
With the help of a pressure canner, you can safely preserve your homemade jam for up to a year, allowing you to savor the taste of summer long after the season has ended.
Why should you use a pressure canner for Pressure Canning Nectarine Peach Plum Jam?
Using a pressure canner for pressure canning nectarine peach plum jam is essential to ensure that the jam is properly preserved and safe to eat. The high pressure and temperature generated during the canning process kill any bacteria or microorganisms that can cause spoilage or foodborne illness, such as botulism. Jam is a low-acid food, and without proper processing, it can support the growth of harmful bacteria.
Using a boiling water bath canner, which is suitable for high-acid foods, is not recommended for canning jam as it may not reach the necessary temperature to kill all bacteria. Therefore, a pressure canner is required to safely preserve low-acid foods like nectarine peach plum jam.
How to make Pressure Canning Nectarine Peach Plum Jam in a pressure canner
Here’s a recipe for making pressure-canned nectarine peach plum jam:
- 4 cups nectarines, peeled and chopped
- 4 cups peaches, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups plums, pitted and chopped
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 package powdered pectin
- 5 cups granulated sugar
- Prepare your canning jars, lids, and rings by washing them in hot soapy water and sterilizing them by boiling for 10 minutes.
- In a large pot, combine the chopped nectarines, peaches, plums, and lemon juice. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the fruit is soft and begins to break down, about 10-15 minutes.
- Add the powdered pectin to the fruit mixture, stirring constantly until the pectin is fully dissolved.
- Increase the heat to high and bring the fruit mixture to a rolling boil. Add the sugar, stirring constantly until it is fully dissolved. Return the mixture to a boil and continue to cook for 1-2 minutes until the jam thickens.
- Remove the pot from the heat and let the jam sit for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent the fruit from rising to the top.
- Using a ladle, carefully pour the hot jam into the prepared canning jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace at the top.
- Wipe the rims of the jars with a clean, damp cloth, and place the lids and rings on top.
- Place the filled jars in the pressure canner, making sure that they are fully submerged in water.
- Secure the lid of the pressure canner and follow the manufacturer’s instructions to process the jam at the recommended pressure and processing time for your altitude.
- Once the processing time is complete, turn off the heat and let the pressure canner cool down naturally.
- Carefully remove the jars from the canner and let them cool on a clean, dry towel. Check the seals after 24 hours and store any unsealed jars in the refrigerator.
Enjoy your delicious homemade nectarine peach plum jam on toast, biscuits, or even as a glaze for meats.
Tips for making Pressure Canning Nectarine Peach Plum Jam in a pressure canner
Here are some tips to help you make the best pressure-canned nectarine peach plum jam:
- Use ripe, high-quality fruit to get the best flavor and texture in your jam.
- Be sure to accurately measure your ingredients to ensure the right balance of fruit, sugar, and pectin.
- Use a large, non-reactive pot to cook the fruit and sugar mixture, stirring frequently to prevent sticking and scorching.
- If you prefer a smoother texture, use an immersion blender to puree the fruit mixture before adding the pectin and sugar.
- To ensure that your jars seal properly, carefully follow the manufacturer’s instructions for preparing your canning jars, lids, and rings.
- It’s important to process your jars at the recommended pressure and processing time for your altitude to ensure that the jam is properly preserved and safe to eat.
- Once the processing time is complete, let the pressure canner cool down naturally before removing the jars to prevent breakage.
- Store your jars in a cool, dry place and use them within a year for the best quality. Discard any jars that show signs of spoilage, such as mold or off odors.
Why Trust Us
You will find what you are looking for at Jody's Bakery. From classic to luxury brands, you'll find both. We will help you to select appliances that fit your needs, budget and lifestyle. Whether you want to stop by to learn more — or plan to make a major purchase — we’ll treat you like family and assist you every step of the way. Shop with us today to receive friendly and experienced help along the way.