Stand mixers are a staple in any kitchen, and for good reason – they are incredibly versatile machines. If you are a baker, you know that having a quiet stand mixer is necessary. This is because even the slightest noise can disturb the delicate balance of ingredients and affect the outcome of your baked goods.
That is why we have put together this list of the best quiet stand mixers for baking lovers. Whether you are looking for a top-of-the-line model or something more affordable, we have got you covered. So read on to find the perfect machine for your needs!
Our Top Picks
What is a quiet stand mixer?
A quiet stand mixer typically has a noise rating of under 80 decibels, which is about as loud as a vacuum cleaner or garbage disposal.
Some brands have models that have even lower noise levels, but this depends on the specific model you choose and how it is marketed.
The average mixer’s noise levels are around 90 decibels. KitchenAid states on their website that the average noise level of their mixers is about 80 decibels, which makes them quiet for a stand mixer.
Benefits of owning a quiet Stand Mixer
A stand mixer can save you time and energy, but it can also be a source of frustration if the mixer is too loud.
Luckily, some manufacturers have designed stand mixers with noise-reducing features that make them much quieter than other models on the market.
By taking a few minutes to compare quiet stand mixers before purchasing a new mixer, you can find a model that will fit neatly into your kitchen and work quickly and quietly.
Read on for some tips on taking the noise level of a stand mixer into account when shopping for a new product.
Types of noise
All stand mixers make some noise, and it is important to understand the various kinds of noise that a mixer can make. A loud or distracting sound can turn an otherwise pleasant task into an irritating one.
Types of Mixer Noises
- Motor Whine – Some mixers have a high-pitched whine that occurs when the motor is under too much stress. This noise can become especially irritating, and it can be a sign that you need to change the speed or add liquid ingredients to your mixture to prevent over-mixing and additional strain on the motor.
- Motor Rumble – Also called “motor growl”, this is the sound that results from air being pushed through the mixer. You can often hear motor rumble when using a mixer without its mixing head. Like whines, motor rumbles are typically harmless but can be annoying.
- Clicks – A quiet stand mixer may make an occasional click or pop as ingredients are added to the bowl or during a particular speed. Clicks may not be a significant source of annoyance, but if clicks become loud or frequent you should contact the manufacturer for a replacement mixer head.
- Vibration – A poorly made mixer that is unevenly weighted or has an unstable base will vibrate loudly while in use. Vibrations can cause problems with the mixing process and can be a sign of a defective mixer.
Why should you buy a quiet Stand Mixer?
One main reason to purchase a quiet stand mixer is, of course, the noise. The old mixers were usually so loud that it would be extremely hard to carry on a conversation anywhere in the house when someone was using one.
This is not the case with the mixers of today. They are designed to be more friendly to your ears, and in some brands this goal has been achieved perfectly.
What most people do not know, however, is that these new mixer models also have a lot of other advantages over their older counterparts.
These benefits go from increased amount of power, sturdier construction, and improved safety to more efficient mixing of ingredients.
The best quiet mixers are not amazingly simple appliances that sit in your kitchen waiting for something to do. They have the potential to become great helpers, practically making cooking much easier for you.
Factors To consider When Choosing The Best Quiet Stand Mixers
A stand mixer is a prized possession for homemakers as it is not only used for baking cakes and preparing dough, but also to knead dough to make bread. Today, there are many types of mixers available in the market that offer unique features and options. Though all mixers do the same thing, which is mixing ingredients to prepare food, not all of them work in the same way. A few stand mixers come with a noise reducing attachment that inhibits the loud whirring sound while they are working. These attachments can be used on most mixers and hence one can choose their best quiet mixer by this feature alone.
Below are some points that you must consider before you finally settle down with a stand mixer.
- Capacity: This one is straightforward; the more capacity, the longer you can use it. So before making any decision about which mixer to buy, always refer to how many liters/quarts your batch of cake recipe will need? If it is too much for your mixer (e.g., your mixer’s capacity is 4.5L and your cake recipe requires 5L), you will need to prepare the ingredients in smaller batches.
- Speed: Many people like to choose a higher speed mixer because they think it can mix faster and hence, save time; however, this is not always true for all kinds of recipes. For example, if your cake recipe needs to be whisked for an extended period (e.g., chiffon cakes), then go for the mixer that has a higher number of speeds available.
- Motor wattage: The more watts the more powerful the motor is, however, it does not mean you will get a better mix using a mixer with higher wattage. This is because the mixing power of your mixer also depends on how much speed you will be using it.
- Dough hook: Most bakeries have their own recipes that require lots of kneading, so they needed to use specialist stand mixers for this purpose. If you are serious about baking, you will need one of these mixers. However, if dough is not your priority yet and you have a small household bakery business only, I would say it is okay to use stand mixer with electric beater instead.
- All metal gears: With the advancement in technology, most food processors nowadays are using all metal gears because it is more durable and long lasting. One good example of this was when my friend asked me why her mixer smells funny after a few months. When I inspected the parts, I found out that she purchased a lower grade machine with plastic gears which melted during mixing!
- Noise: Well, this one is straightforward; the best mixer should be as quiet as possible.
- Dishwasher safe: If you are like me, always forgetting to clean your tools after use (especially if it requires more than 1 step of cleaning), then I would say this is important for you. However, even if your mixer cannot go into the dishwasher, it is okay if you can clean it properly.
- Attachments: The more attachments your mixer has, the better it is because you get to use one machine for all your mixing purpose rather than having a different mixer for whip cream and whisk egg whites. However, if your budget is limited and you cannot afford any of these extras, that is fine as well.
- Color: It is all up to you. If you think the color matches your kitchen theme and it looks nice, then go for it! However, if these things do not matter to you, I would suggest going for the one with stainless steel bowl because it is easier to clean.
- Mixing speed: If you are planning to buy a standing mixer, this is the most crucial factor you should consider before buying one. Let me help you decide by breaking up each speed on your stand mixer into 3 groups:
- Slow speeds (e.g., 1-3): This is for your liquid ingredients such as eggs, milk, or water.
- Medium speeds (e.g., 4-8): This is for your dry ingredients including powdered sugar and flour
- Fast speeds (e.g., 9-12+): This is for things that you want to mix really fast such as a cake batter which requires a lot of beating.
If you are like me, I only use the slow speed (1-3) for about 80 – 90% of my mixing process; hence, you should choose a mixer with at least 8 speeds because this means that you will be able to use it for all your mixing purpose if its price is not too high.
Best Quiet Stand Mixers For Baking Lovers
Below is a list of quiet stand mixers that you may find useful. Please note that the reviews are not a replacement for thorough research on your end, but these reviews will hopefully help you narrow down your choices to one or two quiet stand mixers.
1 - KitchenAid KSM8990DP 8-Quart
2 - KitchenAid KP26M1XDP Professional 600 Series 6-Quart
3- Hamilton Beach All-Metal Stand Mixer
4 - KitchenAid Professional 7-Quart Stand Mixer.
5 - Sunbeam 2594 350-Watt MixMaster Stand Mixer
FAQs About Quiet Stand Mixers
Stand mixers are used to combine ingredients. This is done by the electric mixer’s stationary bowl containing the ingredients, which spins at a slow speed while mixing at fast speeds with the attached rotating stirring shaft that mixes the contents of the bowl.
Depending on the model of stand mixer, attachments can consist of blades for chopping or mixing ingredients, grinder plates for grinding meat and spices, dough hook to mix heavy flour-based doughs, citrus juicer attachment with reamer. There are also universal hubs that allow several of these options to be attached at once.
There are three types of stand mixers: full sized, compact, and mini. Full sized mixers have the largest motors and the biggest bowls for preparing large batches of ingredients. Compact models typically offer less power but smaller size; these mixers tend to be used more often by beginners. Mini mixers are the smallest option, usually only used for small batches or in cooking.
A hand mixer is an alternative to using a stand mixer. A hand mixer includes both beaters and whisks attached to a handle. Hand mixers are not as powerful but are a compact and more affordable option.
Stand mixers typically have a wattage range of 300-900 watts. A higher wattage typically means more power, which may lead to faster ingredient creation time with less mixing time required. In addition, a high-wattage mixer is recommended for heavy mixing and extra power is necessary to knead dough.
The basic types of stand mixers that one can purchase include hand/immersion, planetary and tilting head models. Hand/immersion stand mixers feature a stationary bowl while the other two options feature a rotating bowl head.
Planetary mixers consist of one bowl that rotates around while the stationary mixing shaft is located outside of it, opposed to tilting head models where the bowl sits on top of the mixer’s base and faces upwards towards its handle.
Heavy duty stand mixers are a high-performance type of mixer that typically features a beater bar. Heavy duty mixers are suitable for heavy dough and have the capability to knead dough automatically through their continuous mixing motion.
Stand mixers are well-suited for creating dough from ingredients, which is why they are recommended for creating bread.
The maximum holding capacity of a stand mixer varies based on model and brand. It usually ranges from 5-20 lbs. Be careful not to exceed the maximum holding capacity to avoid damage to the mixer from too much weight being placed on it.
A wide range of accessories are often compatible with a stand mixer, including different blades and whisks. Be sure to check that the attachments that you want to use with your specific mixer model.
Stand mixers can typically be used for many years if they are taken care of. Take good care of your mixer by keeping it clean, doing simple maintenance tasks and avoiding overloading the appliance with too much weight.
A stand mixer is well-suited for mixing a wide range of ingredients, including meat and cheese. In addition to being used for mixing, stand mixers are also often used to knead dough.
Bowl capacity refers to the mixer’s bowl or container capacity when referring to full-sized stand mixers. This measurement typically ranges anywhere from 3.2 quarts up to 6.6 quarts; however, other models may have less or more bowl capacity.
Tilting head stand mixers have a mixing head that swivels on an axis instead of being stationary. This allows the user to easily pour ingredients into the bowl as well as removing it from the mixer’s stand for easier access and use. In addition, the bowl on a tilting head stand mixer can be placed in an upright position so that the mix can be added without having to remove it.
You may be wondering, “What’s the best quiet stand mixer for me?” If you need a reliable and powerful machine that will last through years of baking projects, make sure to check out our reviews. We have compiled some great options for your consideration!
Consider these factors when narrowing down which one is right for you- how many people do I cook or bake with? What kind(s) of food am I cooking? How often do I use my mixer?
Our team has done all the challenging work for you so take advantage by reading about each model we reviewed today. Happy shopping!
Why Trust Us
You will find what you are looking for at Jody's Bakery. From classic to luxury brands, you'll find both. We will help you to select appliances that fit your needs, budget and lifestyle. Whether you want to stop by to learn more — or plan to make a major purchase — we’ll treat you like family and assist you every step of the way. Shop with us today to receive friendly and experienced help along the way.