Prepare time: 5 min Cook: 45 min Ready in: 50...Read More
Christmas cake is a traditional and festive dessert that holds a special place in holiday celebrations. Typically enjoyed during the Christmas season, this rich and indulgent cake is known for its unique combination of flavors and symbolic decorations. The classic Christmas cake is often made with a variety of ingredients such as dried fruits, nuts, spices, and a generous dose of alcohol, which contributes to its distinct taste and texture.
The cake is meticulously adorned with royal icing, creating a snowy-white surface that serves as a canvas for decorative elements like holly leaves, berries, and festive patterns. Many families have their own cherished recipes, and the act of baking and decorating a Christmas cake is often a cherished holiday tradition that brings loved ones together.
Whether served as a centerpiece during Christmas dinner or exchanged as a thoughtful gift, Christmas cake embodies the warmth and joy of the season. Its delightful blend of flavors and the artistry involved in its decoration make it a delicious and visually appealing treat that adds to the festive spirit of the holidays.
How long before Christmas should you make a Christmas cake?
The ideal time to make a Christmas cake varies, but it is generally recommended to make it several weeks before Christmas to allow for the flavors to develop and the cake to mature. Traditional Christmas cakes often include ingredients like dried fruits, nuts, and alcohol, and giving them time to soak and mingle enhances the overall taste and texture.
Many people start making their Christmas cakes in late October or early November. This allows for at least a few weeks of maturation before the holiday season. Some recipes even suggest making the cake a couple of months in advance. However, if you find yourself with less time, you can still make a delicious Christmas cake closer to the holiday, but keep in mind that the flavors may not be as fully developed.
Remember to store the Christmas cake in an airtight container and occasionally feed it with a small amount of alcohol, like brandy or rum, to keep it moist and enhance the flavor.
Christmas cake recipe
Certainly! Here’s a basic Christmas cake recipe for you to try. This recipe assumes a round 8-inch cake tin.
- 1 cup (225g) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup (200g) dark brown sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups (250g) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 cup (120ml) molasses
- 1/4 cup (60ml) treacle or dark corn syrup
- 1/2 cup (120ml) brandy or dark rum
- 1 cup (150g) mixed dried fruits (raisins, currants, sultanas, chopped dates, etc.)
- 1/2 cup (75g) candied peel, chopped
- 1 cup (100g) chopped nuts (such as almonds, walnuts, or pecans)
- Preheat your oven to 325°F (160°C). Grease and line an 8-inch round cake tin with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, cream together the softened butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time, ensuring each is fully incorporated before adding the next.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and cloves.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the butter and sugar mixture, mixing well after each addition.
- Add the molasses, treacle (or dark corn syrup), and brandy (or dark rum) to the batter. Mix until well combined.
- Fold in the mixed dried fruits, candied peel, and chopped nuts.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake tin and smooth the top with a spatula.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 2 to 2.5 hours, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. If the top is browning too quickly, cover it with foil.
- Allow the cake to cool in the tin for 15-20 minutes, then transfer it to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once the cake is completely cool, you can store it in an airtight container. Optionally, you can periodically “feed” the cake by brushing it with additional brandy or rum.
Enjoy your homemade Christmas cake! Feel free to adjust the recipe to suit your preferences or add your favorite ingredients.
Why Trust Us
You will find what you are looking for at Jody's Bakery. From classic to luxury brands, you'll find both. We will help you to select appliances that fit your needs, budget and lifestyle. Whether you want to stop by to learn more — or plan to make a major purchase — we’ll treat you like family and assist you every step of the way. Shop with us today to receive friendly and experienced help along the way.