This is a hearty, delicious soup that I added a little extra flavor to the original recipe. Your choice of fresh cilantro or parsley is stirred into the soup at the end of cooking. I used fresh parsley because that is what we had on hand. Perfect for a cold winter night!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 oz. tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt, more to taste
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Pinch of smoked paprika
- Pinch of ground chile powder or cayenne, or more to taste
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 1/4 cup red lentils
- 1-2 large or 3-4 small carrots, peeled and diced (or grated)
- Juice of 1 lemon, or more to taste, plus the zest of about half the lemon
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
- Heat olive oil over medium-high heat in a large pot until hot and shimmering.
- Add onion and garlic, and saute until golden, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste, cumin, curry powder, salt, black pepper, smoked paprika, chili powder, or cayenne, and saute for 2 minutes longer.
- Add broth, water, lentils, and carrot. Bring to a simmer, partially cover the pot, and turn the heat to medium-low.
- Simmer until lentils are soft, about 30 minutes. Taste and add salt if necessary.
- Using an immersion, regular blender, or food processor, purée half the soup and add it back to the pot. The soup should be somewhat chunky.
- Reheat the soup if necessary, then stir in lemon juice, zest, cilantro, or parsley.
- Optionally, serve soup drizzled with good olive oil and dusted lightly with chili powder, if desired. I made the soup with crusty garlic bread, which was fantastic!
- All Post
- Air Fryer
- Baby Food Maker
- Best Lists
- Bread Maker Machine
- Bread Slicer
- Cooking Tips
- Electric Mixer
- Food Processor
- Food Slicer
- Food Steamer
- Grain Mill Grinder
- Instant Pot
- Kitchen Gadget
- Meat Slicer
- Microwave Oven
- Slow Cooker
The end of summer, days grow shorter, and the leaves are starting their annual transformation. Soon, the long lazy afternoons…
Aduki beans, or red beans, are often used to make a thick bean paste which you will find as a…
This brightly colored soup is easy to make and very tasty. The recipe is kept simple so all the focus…
Why Trust Us
You will find what you are looking for at Jody's Bakery. From classic to luxury brands, you'll find both. We will help you to select appliances that fit your needs, budget and lifestyle. Whether you want to stop by to learn more — or plan to make a major purchase — we’ll treat you like family and assist you every step of the way. Shop with us today to receive friendly and experienced help along the way.