Can You Bake Cakes in Bread Machine?
You may have noticed a cake setting on your bread machine and just wondering if you can bake a cake in a bread machine. Some of you may have missed it or are too scared to try it.
Can you bake a traditional cake using your bread machine? The answer is yes. ”You can bake a cake in a bread machine, but first, you need to know some tips and tricks.
If you have a pre-programmed setting for said cake, it is sometimes referred to as a batter bread setting. The batter bread installation only prepares the batter; then, you will have to pour it into a baking dish and slide it into the oven. You can choose this method and then bake it in the oven, but mixing batter is not much difficult.
Meanwhile, the “cake setting” does it and also bakes it for you. We will focus on recipes related to baking on your bread machine. Second, you have to see what kind of flour you are using. Recipes sometimes require you to use baking dough or all-purpose bread or flour mixes.
Bread Machine Cake Ingredients
You will need all-purpose flour for baking a cake. It is a refined type of wheat flour suitable for cakes and other fast bread. You should avoid using self-raising flour when using a bread machine as it may contain additional yeast, which can cause uncertain results.
Baking soda is a type of soda salt (sodium bicarbonate). It is an alkali that needs the presence of an acid to act as an enamel. A baking soda recipe will also contain acidic ingredients like lemon juice, brown sugar, or milk.
Baking powder is an enamel based on a chemical reaction that starts immediately upon contact with a liquid, so it does not require a cycle of rising. It is a combination of baking soda, acid salt, and corn starch.
Eggs are added to a cake recipe to give the cake a thick and smooth texture. Large room-temperature eggs are used in recipes.
Making Cake In Bread Machine
Most people use a bread maker to make a loaf. However, you can use any bakery machine’s Quick Bread settings to mix and bake. You can also use the Bake Only function for baking if you are using a wooden spoon or a stand mixer to mix yourself.
Quick bread, or flour bread, is similar to bread because the recipe uses baking soda or baking powder instead of active dry yeast. Hence, you can use the Bread Quick menu setting for baking in a bread machine.
The basic process starts with buying the cake mixture and then placing the ingredients in the bread pan according to the instructions. Then put the pan into the bread machine, plug it in, choose the Quick Bread setting, and choose the light crust color. Press the start button so that the bread maker can start mixing ingredients. Check that all ingredients are mixed, and use a spoon to remove the uncooked dough.
When the baking cycle is finished, gently removed it from the baking pan and placed it on the rack to cool.
If you decide to use the Baking function of the bread maker, mix the ingredients by hand or electric mixer into the cake batter and place in the bread pan. If your bread machine has Pizza Dough or Pasta Dough installed, then you can use that instead. You can refer to the bread machine’s instruction manual if you need more information on using the Bake Only function.
Baking Cake in a Bread Machine Tips and tricks
If you’re trying to bake a chocolate chip cake for your daughter’s birthday and you don’t know when to combine those chocolates. Depending on the cake and recipe, you may have to add these at a specific time in the cycle.
If your bread machine has an automatic fruit and nut dispenser, that’s pretty easy as it will handle itself if you choose the cake or batter bread setting.
If you don’t have a hopper, there will usually be an audible beep letting you know more of these ingredients if you want. The recipe should also indicate the setting and any special handling regarding the fruit, nuts, and other additional ingredients.
High-end machines like the Hamilton Beach Bread Maker 29888 come equipped with a fruit and nut compartment so you can add chocolate chips in the compartment.
Hamilton Beach Bread Machine 29888
- Automatic fruit and nut dispenser
- Fresh homemade bread in just 3 steps
- 14 programmed cycles: bread to jam and cake.
- Customizable size and shade
- Dishwasher safe parts: the bread machine pan and paddle are dishwasher safe for easy cleaning.
Most bread machines don’t have a viewing window, so you shouldn’t open the lid to check how your cake looks. Patience is critical here because if you do, it will mess with the appliance’s temperature, and even an improper vibration of the time can ruin your machine.
When it beeps, you have to transfer the cake onto the cooling rack and then serve it or decore it with ice, sprinkle, chocolate crumbs, fruit, or whatever you want.
Don’t be too amazing if your cake is vertical, as that’s how it is made in a bread machine. If you don’t like its shape, we recommend you cut it out and create layers. It will also allow you to add multiplication between each layer.
Baking cake in an oven or bread machine is often complicated. Maybe they haven’t been thoroughly cooked, so check with a wooden skewer. Insert a wooden skewer into the cake from the top down and see if it is clean. If not, then that means you need to bake it in for another 10-20 minutes. If you don’t have a wooden skewer, a piece of dry pasta is fine too.
Now we have our basics and can move on to the practical part, learning how to bake cakes with different flavors.
Before exploring some exciting recipes, check out our top choice for a home bread machine.
Secura Bread Machine 2.2lb
- Developed with nutrition exclusive custom mode 19 preset menu settings & 3 loaf sizes & 3 crust Colors for making a variety of breads pizza dough cakes yogurt and jams. Now you can create gluten free cake
- Programmable LCD digital display with delay baking timer 15-hour delay timer & automatic keep Warm (max 1 hours)
- Maximum capacity of 2 2 pounds select your loaf size (1 1lb 1 7lb or 2 2lb)
- Features an add-in ingredient reminder and a convenient view window. The bread maker will “beep” to remind you to add final ingredients such as nuts and fruit
- Electricity disconnection memory & diagnostic error code system.
Elite Gourmet Maxi-Matic EBM8103B Bread Machine
- MAKING FRESH ARTISAN BREADSUP TO A 2-LB LOAF
- 19-PROGRAMMED PRESET MENU include making jam, yogurt, and baking cakes
- 15-HOUR DELAY TIMER and a 60-minute Keep Warm function
- FREE UP THE OVEN and save on power.
- MANAGE THE NUTRIENTS
- Add your favorite nuts, seeds, or dried fruits for a unique touch
- INCLUDES EVERYTHING: non-stick bread pan, measuring cup and spoon, kneading blade, metal hook for lifting out kneading blade.
Panasonic SD-RD250 Bread Maker with Automatic Fruit & Nut Dispenser
- Power 120AC, 60Hz
- Microprocessor controlled for even baking
- Easily Bake Bread or Create Dough, use the Bake Only mode when it's time to bake a cake for a birthday celebration or delectable tea breads to serve with tea when visiting with a friend.
- Special dispenser for the addition of Fruit or nuts for even mixing in the baking process
- Diamond fluorine non-stick coated pan for easy clean-up
- 5 Baking modes for 2 different loaf sizes (M, XL)
- Large LCD readout, measures 11 1/8-inch (Width) by 12 13/16-inch (Length) by 14 9/16-inch (Height), 15-pound
Cuisinart CBK-200 Convection Bread Maker
- 16 preprogrammed menu options, 3 crust colors, and 3 loaf sizes offer over 100 bread, dough/pizza dough, sweet cake and jam choices.
- Low Carb and Gluten-Free preset menu options and recipes.
- Audible tone indicates time to add fruit, nuts, and other "mix-ins." The second tone offers the option of removing the paddle before baking or removing unbaked dough to shape by hand.
- Additional Options: 15-minute Pause, Bake-Only option, 12-Hour-Delay Start, Timer, and Power Failure Backup.
- Limited 3-year warranty, 680 watts
Cake recipes for bread machine
Red Velvet Cake in Bread Machine Recipe
Red Velvet cake is a kind of cake with an impressive appearance, usually covered with a layer of white icing to bring out the red. This unique recipe uses a red velvet cake mix and is baked in the machine. Traditionally, the red velvet cake is served with buttercream cream or cream cheese. We’ve included cream cheese toppings for this recipe.
- One box of Red Velvet cake mix
- 1 cup of water/250 ml
- Three eggs lightly beaten
- ⅓ cup of vegetable oil/75 ml
- 1 cup chopped strawberries mixed with ½ cup sugar
- Leave for 20 minutes to allow the strawberries to curl, then spread over the middle layer of the cake before freezing.
- Measure the baking ingredients into the baking pan in the order specified in the recipe or the order specified by the manufacturer.
- Put the pan in the machine and select Baking Cycle or Bread Cycle; 1 pound of bread and light crust.
- Half mix, using a rubber spoon to scrape the sides of the baking pan and paddle.
- When the signal sounds that baking is complete, check the maturity with a wooden skewer. If ready, remove the baking pan from the machine. If not, keep it in the machine or put it in the Reheat Cycle for 10 to 30 minutes or during the Bake Only Cycle if you have it on the machine until baked.
Cream Cheese Frosting in Bread Machine Recipe
This favorite frosting is creamy and thick, holds its shape when piped, and tastes incredible on carrot cake, spice cake, and so much more.
- 1 cup cream cheese, softened (8 ounces/225 grams)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened, or Mascarpone cheese, at room temperature (65 to 67°F) (1 stick/4 ounces/115 grams)
- 1 lb confectioners’ sugar, sifted (4 cups/455 grams)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- To make cheese frosting cream: In a medium bowl, whisk cream cheese and butter until smooth, about 1 minute. Add sugar gradually and beat until fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add vanilla.
- Cut the cake and cut it into layers or simply cut it into the shape you like and frost it. If you want to add the cake filling, just spread it on the bottom and top layers along with the other layer and frost.
Pound Cake in Bread Machine Recipe
Great sweetness with a shredded texture. This is a classic dessert bread and goes great with coffee or tea.
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 Cups all purpose flour
- 3 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 Cup sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Add the baking ingredients to the bread pan in the order indicated in the recipe or the order specified by your manufacturer.
- Select the cake setting. Choose 1 pound loaf and set light crust.
Cake Bread in Bread Machine Recipe
This is an exciting hybrid that combines both cake and bread ingredients. It is an excellent dessert with butter or jam and jelly, or you can eat it plain. It’s also great for breakfast with coffee or tea.
- 1 1/4 cup of water 110°F./43°C.
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter (room temperature)
- 2 1/2 cup of bread flour
- 1 cup yellow cake mix
- 1 tsp Rapid Rise yeast
- Add the ingredients to the bowl in the same order as in this recipe or your manufacturer.
- This time choose the white bread cycle over the cake cycle.
- Set for 1.5 loaf and medium crust
- You can use wooden skewers following this recipe, but if you’re still unsure, you can do the experiment.
- When it’s thoroughly baked, set it aside on a cooler, use a bread knife and serve with jam, jelly, butter or plain food.
Chocolate Chocolate Cake in Bread Machine Recipe
This recipe takes chocolate layers through advertising. It is a great cake for any celebration.
- 1/2 cup Water
- 3 Large Eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup Vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup Unsweetened Applesauce
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 3 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 cup Sugar
- 7 Tbsp Unsweetened Cocoa
- 1/2 cup Chocolate Chips
- Add the ingredients specified by your bread machine.
- If you have a fruit and nut dispenser or beep that allows you to add chocolate crumbs in the middle, add them as your machine indicates otherwise, mix them with other ingredients.
- I recommend installing the ‘light’ crust to avoid the cake being too dry
- You can serve it hot with any desired fruit or even ice cream.
Indeed, it is possible to make a variety of cakes with a bread machine. You should check the instruction manual supplied with the bakery machine to see what it says about baking. Instructions for use may cover essential baking recipes, but you can try other bakery recipes or use canned cake mixes.
Why Trust Us
You will find what you are looking for at Jody's Bakery. From classic to luxury brands, you'll find both. We will help you to select appliances that fit your needs, budget and lifestyle. Whether you want to stop by to learn more — or plan to make a major purchase — we’ll treat you like family and assist you every step of the way. Shop with us today to receive friendly and experienced help along the way.